Pants :(

TheGreatGatsby
TheGreatGatsby Posts: 818
edited April 2008 in The bottom bracket
I'm gutted.

Despite my best efforts and having ridden 1330 miles this month I am still 180 miles away from my 12,000 miles in a year target.

so close yet so far. Why is it worse to miss a target by a little than when you miss it by a mile?

Gats

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    You've got a full time job, and have still managed to average nearly 230miles for the whole year - not bad going. I've never even done 230 miles in week, let alone kept it for 52 weeks.

Can't you fit 180 miles in overnight tonight?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • don't even joke I've been thinking how I can make it up in a day but it'd be a push so I guess I'll just have to let i t go and try again next year.

I have ramped up my mileage to 50 a day during the week plus the long one on the weekends and thats coming out of winter so should be good for 300+ average for the weeks coming up.

Gats
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Gats - eschew the quantity..go for quality!
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • redddraggon
    Take the day off work, and get the 180 in.....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    Sounds like the perfect excuse for a sicky and a 180mile epic, I could not handle getting that close and failing.
    Go for it.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • hah hah ha! If I had the day off I'd kill it for sure but it's not gonna happen the best I can hope for is a 25+ commute on the way home and then a 55miler tomorrow IF I'm lucky and my legs stop hurting!

Gats
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Take the day off work, and get the 180 in.....

my thoughts exactly. Come on Gats - where's your commitment to the cause? :wink:
  • funny my girlfriend says I should be commited but I'm not sure that's what she had in mind.

Gats
  • Why not change your *year* to run from Jan to Dec, thereby giving you 8 months in which to achieve it??
  • You just need a government accountant and you'll be able to explain to Paxman how you've beaten it by 1100 miles with 2 months to spare.
    Dan
  • Seriously though, that is an OUTSTANDING effort.
    Dan
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    12 hour turbo trainer session. You could watch a seasons worth of Torchwood DVD's at the same time.

In reality it'll only seem like 12 days..........
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • popette
    pedylan wrote:
    12 hour turbo trainer session. You could watch a seasons worth of Torchwood DVD's at the same time.

In reality it'll only seem like 12 days..........

I remember Gats doesn't have a turbo - he missed 1000 for a month once by only a few miles and wasn't able to turbo the last bit out. :wink:

Sh1T can you imagine - 180 miles ON A TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I've gone mad at the very thought
  • You remember right Popette! I'd rather be out on the road than stuck in doors on a turbo but that's just me - couldn't imagine doing 180 miles though turbo or not!

Still I guess at least this way I have a goal for next year starting on Thursday.

Gats
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    That's why I stopped recording my distance. When I did, I was just short of my 10k miles for the calender year and heavy snow stopped me from getting in last few miles.

I ended up just going out to clock up distance and I realised it was spoiling my enjoyment of riding. Anyway 10k (or even 12k miles) isn't that big a deal. I know people who must put in double that year after year - one of them on a trike!

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    don't take it as holiday...take a couple days 'sick'

you probably look malnourished anyway :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Wish I did look malnourished! but am condsiderably well nourished!

I don't go out to clock up miles they are a result of just riding my push bike for enjoyment but I totaly get what you mean Geoff. 12K is about average I would guess but I'm quite happy with that achievement.

Gats
  • popette
    can't it be a rolling 12 months? year starting June 07?
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    Did you take into account that it was a leap year and not a standard year so in theory you have already had an extra day, oh well maybe next year.

12,000 miles If you started at your house, how far around the world would that get you???
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Gats

i don't understand move the year forward by 1 month only and make sure that next month you do 180 miles more than you did in May last year

Not a cop out because you will still have done the 12k in a year :lol:

I am seriously impressed though
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I was feelilng similarly gloomy in January because I missed a ten year milestone (no way I'm telling you how many (few) miles it was, you'd laugh).

Then I discovered a sheet of paper on which I had recorded miles done before I bought a cycle computer. Bingo! there were my lost miles and a few extra into the bargain.

Was there not a day or two when you forgot to switch on the computer, left it at home, it stopped working in the cold or near a radar station (if wireless), needed new batteries? Have you added in your miles on the turbo?

Find those missing miles; they are bound to be there somewhere!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• redddraggon
    I've got no idea how many miles I've done in the last year - if I look at both the computers I've got on the go now, they both only add up to about 900miles - way off my actual total.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • there may be some descrepensies in mileage as it was split over two computers and also the first half of the year was in Canada. Also I never count the .2 or .7 miles from the actual mileage so to me 28.6miles is 28miles so I guess there could be some in there.

I'll check the figures but I reckon I'll still be under but that's cool - I'm content with being a failure! ha ha ah

Gats
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Wow - that's a lot of miles :shock:

Is there a 'safe' mileage limit? Are you in danger of wearing yourself (and your joints) out? Have you noticed any reduction in your height in the last year? :)