Removing pedals...do I really have to?

NFMC
NFMC Posts: 232
edited April 2008 in Tour & expedition
Flying with my bike on Wednesday (to New York!...can't wait!) and - for the life of me - I cannot remove the pedals.

I've got a fully padded bike bag. Do I really have to remove the pedals? Should I take it to the LBS tomorrow and face the shame of having to tell them I'm incapable of taking my own pedals off???

Comments

• andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    I would.

You'd probably be OK without, but what would you do if a jobsworth spotted the pedals at the airport?

Pedals can be very difficult to take off if left too long. The bike shop will have seen it before, probably lots of times. It's only embarassing if they come off easily because you'd been turning them the wrong way.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Remember the left hand pedal has a reverse thread so undoes as if you were tightening it. If you put a 15 mm spanner on and give it a sharp tap with a hammer/mallet you should get them off.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • bobtravers
    bobtravers Posts: 115
    feel wrote:
    Remember the left hand pedal has a reverse thread so undoes as if you were tightening it. If you put a 15 mm spanner on and give it a sharp tap with a hammer/mallet you should get them off.

... or 8mm Allen key behind the pedal axis... What kind of pedals you got??
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Get a big pedal spanner that will give you plenty of leverage..
  • NFMC
    NFMC Posts: 232
    It has both...the space for a 15mm spanner and an allen key.

They're shimano dual pedals (so, one side for SPD and one for 'normal' shoes).

Will take them to the shop this morning and ask the guy to show me what I'm doing wrong. I know about the opposite way thing on the left pedal so it can't be that.
  • keithc440
    keithc440 Posts: 277
    Once you get them off I tend to turn mine a quater turn or so every few weeks just to keep them from getting too tight.