New (first!) job

s.h.r.e.d
s.h.r.e.d Posts: 33
edited May 2008 in MTB general
Hi everyone!
I have just got my first job! To top that off it is at my lbs! I'm only 14 and obviously new to the world of jobs and bike retail/repair, so does anybody have any advice for my first day?

Thanks
Oli :D

Comments

• don't steal or break anything. :wink:
  • s.h.r.e.d
    hehe, i've got my eye on a nice fuel ex 9.0 in there :wink:
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Be polite & don't be afraid to ask questions, making cups of tea also helps ;)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Just show willing, enthusiasm and do what you're asked....

seriously, watch, learn and take it all in and don't be afraid to ask questions... or get a brew on...

Nice one, enjoy! :wink:
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Andy_B wrote:
    Be polite & don't be afraid to ask questions, making cups of tea also helps ;)

Took the words out of my mouth Andy - you must have posted as I was typing... wasn't copying honest :wink:
  • s.h.r.e.d
    yeah - i've been told tea is a necessity! although my plan is to make it really bad first time so I don't have to do it again :lol:
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    s.h.r.e.d wrote:
    yeah - i've been told tea is a necessity! although my plan is to make it really bad first time so I don't have to do it again :lol:

Well done that man! You'll be managing the place by the end of the week!

First rule of management - get someone else to do it!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    s.h.r.e.d wrote:

How naive the young are. Don't you know that practice makes perfect?

Seriously one thing that I notice a lot with young lads is that they are scared to talk to their customers. Be confident when you talk to them and if they ask you something and you don't know just say that you don't know but you know a man who does and ask a colleague. It's much better than waffling or muttering something and you will get the customers respect as well as learning something new.

Good luck and remember that if you enjoy it's not a longer job!
  • Enthusiasm and a smile!..
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • until you feel confident enough to be out front you should walk around like a sponge and Soak up all the information tips and tricks you hear and see!
    remember that you are starting at the bottom of the ladder and have to work your way up,
    as mentioned, dont be affraid to make the tea, sweep the workshop floor etc. all veryt menial jobs but show willing and chances are you'll be there for a while!!
    everyone loves a keen worker!

serioulsy though, dont be tempted to get above your station as such, but also dont be affraid to talk to customers!

as for making bad tea! wrong way of doing it!! as above, you'll be shown how to make it until you do it right!! i know from past experience! hahahah!

but best of all enjoy it!!!! i'd love to work at my lbs!! (i'm 30 btw!!)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • I thought you had to be 16 to have a part time job? Am I the first to call child labour? :shock:
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    no 14 is allowed with rents permision,

as above make good tea and coffee, get stuck in with any basic jobs around, listen carefully and show enthusiasm! you will be fine mate
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    theman1001 wrote:
    I thought you had to be 16 to have a part time job? Am I the first to call child labour? :shock:

No, you can work at any age as long as you have written consent from a parent or guardian, but if you're under 12 you aren't allowed to do more than 2 hours in any 24 hour period.

Aside from that, if you are under 16 years of age you have virtually no rights within employment law - I don't even think that you're entitled to minimum wages. There's nothing to stop you, but your employer can dictate terms.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    Forward thinking! DONT WAIT to be told to do somthing Use a bit of Initive i.e. if you see something needs moving tidying ect just do it! Its the one thing that drives me mad at my place when we take on new lads! :roll:
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I was recently in exactly the same situation as you, although I had had 2 weeks work experience to intorduce me to the place. As somebody previously mentioned, don't be afraid to talk to customers, but also make sure you don't fob them off with false information. If you hang around with the mechanic if you get any spare time you'll soon pick up a whole range on new skills.
    Most importantly, don't knock over the expensive bikes! A couple of weeks ago I had a near miss involving a stand next to the endge of a landing on which hung a Scott Spark 30 and a Scott Scale 30 (about 4 grand of bike). Thank God I have quick reflexes!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    i always find good posrture helps. stand up straight, shoulders back, look at people when you're talking to them (or they're talking to you) and speak up. people will take you much more seriously if you seem confident.

and, as has been said already, there's always somthing to do in the work environment. if you're not doing anything, find someone who is doing somthing and give them a hand. or if it comes to it, start tidying up! a good supervisor WILL notice these things.

the only other thing i'd say is make sure you look the part. it's different in my line of work (armed forces) but i think it translates to any line of work - "looking good is half the battle" and "if it looks right, it's right"

steve
  • Boffington
    Boffington Posts: 281
    yeah i work in my LBS. its sick! i love it. but always be aware you know very little compared to your colleagues, i've been there for about 5-6 weeks and i'm still amazed at how they make sense of what some sustomers say to them about their bike and how quickly they know the exact part the customer wants.

employee discounts no bad thing either :wink:
    I took falling off bikes...and turned it into an art!
  • I'm only a little paperboy. :( £15.75 isn't that bad for an hour and a half of walking
    Me like trials biking me do
  • BlackSpur
    8 and a half ours of work gets me £25.50!
  • Mayhemwmb
    Mayhemwmb Posts: 108
    Be honest, if you drop a boll*ck, don't cover it up, don't bull5h!t anyone and LISTEN to the more experienced staff, The most important thing is to enjoy yourself!
    Good luck
  • On your first day - don't steal anything.

Congrats and good luck fella :D
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Try not to put all your wages straight back into the till :lol:

Who am I trying to kid, if I worked in my LBS I'd never take any money home.

Good luck with it, hope it works out for you.
  • s.h.r.e.d
    thanks a lot for all the replies! I start tommorow and will hopefully post on how it goes
  • CraigXXL
    So how much discount do you get?
  • s.h.r.e.d
    I get stuff for however much they buy it from the manufacturer/distributor. pretty sick huh!! Soo, a fuel ex 9 08 sholud cost me under a grand 8) :D
  • CraigXXL
    Right lads you heard that, parts at cost, get your orders in quick! :lol:
  • s.h.r.e.d
    hehe, i'll charge a 10% handling fee :lol:
  • BlackSpur
    I'm off to work now - I take it you are about to do the same? Good luck anyway!
  • s.h.r.e.d
    Blackspur - yer that was right before i left. So, I got back about 1 1/2 ago and all I can say is wow!! I had a brilliant day, all the other guys in there are so sound, I even got a lift back to my house with my muddy bike in the back of his new car! I learnt loads and am now 'one of the team', so I will hopefully work every saturday I can. plus my first ever pay for a days work!! 8)