Dodgy Knee??

hothead
hothead Posts: 123
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Starting to get strange pain in my left knee, Feel throbbing type pain on front on knee and when I go upstairs hear a clicking type noise in the knee? Any ideas?? Just that I seem to be getting somewhere now when im riding but worry this is something not good!

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    hmm - go get it checked out.

mine started with the clunking feeling (clunk rather than click) - then started to struggle with full mobility - constantly wanting it to 'click' back into place - which it wouldn't - then swelling.

docs - MRI scan - consultant - need keyhole to repair a meniscus tear - should be done by Mid-june but i'm of the bike at the moment :-(

my looking foward has turned to dread of my impending family holiday to disneyland too :-(
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    sorry - I don't mean to scare you with this - your's could be anything at all - muscle sprain or anything

I just wish I had sought medical advice as soon as it started feeling 'dodgy' - it'd be fixed by now if I had and not just about to go on what should be a holiday of a lifetime feeling like a bloody cripple!

go get it checked out!
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    hothead wrote:
    Starting to get strange pain in my left knee, Feel throbbing type pain on front on knee and when I go upstairs hear a clicking type noise in the knee? Any ideas?? Just that I seem to be getting somewhere now when im riding but worry this is something not good!

If it's from cycling only, and not from an isolated traumatic injury, its likely to be an Overuse issue - first thing to do is stop riding, and Rest - whilst you're resting, go to your GP and get it checked out.
  • I've got a similar problem. Only started riding again back in January, no problems for the first couple of months, averaging 25/30 miles, then on a week off from work I did a couple fairly hard 50 milers during that week, that's when my knees went.

Since read about increasing your mileage by 10% per week, I went from 30 miles to 100 miles in that week - big mistake. Also I tend to climb in too heavy a gear rather than spinning up the hill, I think I need to reprogram myself. I've been off the bike for 4 weeks now and my knees are better but still get the odd twinge every now and then, but almost certainly an overuse injury. Hopefully I will learn from it.

Good luck getting your knees sorted, it's just too damn frustrating!
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    My knee problem (right knee) was caused by an alignment issue, somehow I had went through my life with splayed feet and never noticed... The odd alignment caused problems with pedalling. and I got clicking and curnching etc up stairs and eventually just normal walking was painful...

Id recommend seeing a proper sports therapist type person, my GP was useless "take some ibuprofen" the hospital physios were worse - they really didnt seem to have a clue about cause and just want me to get someone to twist my legs a few times a day... which I did and it did nothing for me...

A private sports therapist person put me on the right track... I think I paid £15 for a consultation (sounded overly cheap my unbased expectations had been £100+ for any private professional), it took her all of 10 minutes to figure it out and most of that time was spent complaining about doctors handing out pills instead of looking for causes of problems...

I think it went something like 8 minutes of asking about symptoms when does it happen and whats been done so far then complaining about doctors taking that route, then I think I had to take of my trousers and shoes and lay out on a table \ bed thing to get my legs examined, as I took of my shoes she spotted the problem right away.... she did of course carry on and do a thorough examination of my legs and a laser accupuncture thing to help with the immedeat pain, which was quite bad by that point having been attempting to cycle through the pain on a high dose ibuprofen for a couple of weeks on the doctors and physio therapists advice...

I have to say I had reservations about using a "weird" private place at first despite my dads recommendations (laser accupuncture therapy for sports injuries is her most common treatment - which I have to say I viewed with suspicion), but as soon as I got there it became abundantly clear that her professionalism, knowledge of anatomy and muscles in action seemed on a different level to the NHS hospital physios. There was no humming and harring and head scratching and confusion... I can certainly see why she is used by people who make their living out of sports...

Bizarrely for someone making money out of their practise she told me there was no point in me using her laser accupuncture and that I needed to get the alignment issue sorted and that would cure the pain... She said she could use laser accupuncture to treat the pain, but that was a waste of money treating symptoms instead of causes. Despite being a private practioner who you would assume wanted regular returning clients she was far more interested in getting my problem solved than in making money...

The NHS would have seen me off the bike for life, and slowly degnerating mobility, when all I needed was a nicely shaped insole...