Euro family holiday/ Classic Climbs

TheHatter
TheHatter Posts: 122
I wondered if anyone had advice on where is good to go on holiday with my wife and child that they will enjoy but will also let me sneak away on a couple of days to take in a some classic climbs. The primary purpose would be the usual beach holiday (though inland options arent out of the question) . I want to keep costs down so somewhere a budget airline flies to would be great (though that would probably rule out camping as they have such a mean baggage allowance).
I'm thinking late August.
Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• xio
    xio Posts: 212
    If inland options aren't out of the question, there's always the alps...
  • TheHatter
    From a cycling point of view I'd love the Alps and I've never been, but from what I hear it wouldnt make much of a family holiday? Ideally I'd like somewhere with a resort feel (though not ski resort!)and was considering Barcelona with a trip to the Pyrenees but thats more driving than I'd prefer.
  • xio
    xio Posts: 212
    Really depends on your family - it's great for activities and there's invariably a pool you can laze around, but if all they want is to sit in the sun and make sandcastles, then probably not a good choice.

Climbed Ventoux last year - that part of the world is nice and might be more suited.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    would you fancy one of the 'Thompson Al Fresco" holidays?

They are large parks type of holidays - holiday villa;s - bit like the centre parcs concept.

There is one in annecy in France - home of the Dauphin Librere and not far from alpe d'huez and other classic climbs,

I've not been - but I'm trying to persuade the wife myself!

see here:

http://www.thomsonalfresco.co.uk/aniten ... ID%2039814

I like l"escale in particular - just 40miles from geneva - fly to geneva and rent a car - ideal!
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    I'll second using Annecy as a base, it's a stunning place, there's plenty for kids to do, the big lake is a great draw in summer.

and the world is your oyster in so far as climbs are concerned.
  • TheHatter
    Thanks all for the advice - I'll start doing some research
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you want the best of both worlds...a nice beach holiday for the kids and a few classic climbs aswell then I'd opt for Tenerife...nice weather, nice beaches and Mount Teide!

Thats the toughest climb I've did abroad...not to steep but at over 40kms in length and over a 2300meter climb it really is a life sucking ordeal. The scenery is tremendous aswell the minute you leave the resorts....

And its not just Teide!...the most gorgeous place I've ever been was in the Teno Mountain range there...and also one hell of a climb...from BuenaVista upto the incredible Masca Village...then the infamous dreaded steep climb back out...4.5kms at 11% avg....

And then youve got the lovely Anaga Mountain range...superb cycling...

Have a wee look:-

http://www.tenerife-training.net/Cyclin ... lands.html

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=3ERpPbzFBAs
  • epicEm
    epicEm Posts: 45
    There's a load of great road riding near us.
    The local hotel in Nea Makri is www.thomasbeachhotel.gr
    By the clean sandy beach with a pool and an enclosed lawned garden.
    Watersports centre nearby.

Close to Athens airport, a bus ride from Athens centre for a trip to the Acropolis.
    If you fancy Greece... www.epicmtbgreece.com
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    Yorkman wrote:
    I'll second using Annecy as a base, it's a stunning place, there's plenty for kids to do, the big lake is a great draw in summer..

3rd.

The lake has beach areas, so the kids can build sandcastles and you can look at women with their tops off.
  • RCC
    RCC Posts: 19
    I went to Annecy last year, and the kids/wife and myself loved it. The lake is brilliant, warm, still and swmmable especially at the South end (Bout de lac?).There was a man-made beach there too for the kids to play on. There are boat rides on the lake that stop at most of the larger villages to enable you to visit if you want to leave the car at the hotel/campsite.

Annecy is a lovely centre with stunning canals, buildings, retaurants and quite a few parks to keep the kids happy.

The things to do around there are very good as well, I could reccommend La Sambuy ski station, there is a chair lift to the top which was like a white knuckle ride that my girls (9&5) loved, also a toboggan run, bungee trampolines etc. There is also somthing up Le Semnoz. Paraglidig off the Forclaz overlooking the lake was amazing and all but my youngest did it.

There is pony trekking, petting farms etc etc.

As for the cycling WAHOO!!! I did 8 cols in total,

Forclaz
    Leschaux
    Semnoz
    Croix Fry
    Aravis
    Tamie
    L'epine
    Marais

The colombiere and the Roseland are not that far away neither so all in all it was perfect.
  • We have had a number of families during the summer where the guy has wanted to test himself against some of the classic le tour cols but also needed to have enough fun and relaxation activities for the rest of the family.

On our doorstep (literally just a few minutes) are the le Tour regulars the Col du Portillon and Col de Peyresourde, with Ares, Portet d'Aspet, Mente, Aspin and last years new entry Port de Bales all within striking distance.

For the rest of the family our town (Bagneres de Luchon) provides an excellent mix of fun and activity as well as relaxation with the traditional French cafe culture, Spa and treatments etc.

Luchon's excellent outdoor swimming pool provides fantastic mountain views and is a great place to wind down after a hard ride.

If this interests you please post me a PM and I will happily send you more details
    www.peak-times.com

Independent or supported cycling holidays in the French Pyrenees
  • TheHatter
    Wow, I feel spoilt for choice. Annecy looks great and just right in terms of the balance between me and the familly. It also seems to work out quite reasonably to do it independently with EasyJet flying to Geneva.
    But the other options mentioned here for places in France, Greece and Tenerife are equally attractive and will at least be kept in mind for next year.