Have your say 6 nations crowd....

http://www.rfusurvey.co.uk/

interesting some of them.....
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    As an ex-player I think they are badly thought out and designed purely for people who cannot be bothered with the intricacies of the game as it stands. If I had wanted to play or watch rugby league I would have done - all these rules will do is ensure 15 players are spread across the field, take out the power and skill of the scrum, ensure teams do not have to commit players to the maul.

Rant over.
  • 97piersp
    97piersp Posts: 72
    as a forward i can see these changes as reasnobly good apart from mauls. but for any backs i think there will be no running game and just kicking so could be very boring
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    97piersp wrote:
    as a forward i can see these changes as reasnobly good apart from mauls. but for any backs i think there will be no running game and just kicking so could be very boring

I don't agree. I play second row and am not looking forward to these new rules if they are adopted (though there does seem to be a significant backlash now).

The game will become non-stop and, at grass roots level, unbearably knackering for locks and back row players who will end up running constatntly from one end of the pitch to the other trying to secure the ball at the breakdown before a winger picks it out.

The maul will cease to be the epic battle between packs it is now, and the replacement of a lot of scrummaging with boring free kicks will further devalue the contribution of the pack.

I can live with the no passing back into the 22 prior to a kick to touch, and the 5m offside line at scrums might be benificial, but the rest are pants.

The game works well now at all levels, from grassroots to international. It will be shame if the Aussies are allowed to ruin it in their bid to make it as interesting to simpleton TV viewers as League.

If they must tinker with the rules simply make a conversion worth 3 points.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Can't say it would be beneficial for 3 point conversion. There is too much emphasis on kicks as it is with penalties, conversions and drop goals.
    Just look at Scotland and England games where both have won games with hardly any tries.
    I am not sure what the rule about back pass into the 22 is trying to achieve?
    If you have a lineout at 30m which is a defensive lineout, it means if the pass is back you cannot kick to touch, all that will do is force the player to kick long downfield, then the receiving player will pick it up and kick it back to touch back to where it started and off you go again, very exciting :D
  • My impression is that there are far fewer close games in the 14 this year. Every time I switch on a game with 20 mins to go, I immediately turn over because someone is miles ahead. May be a false impression , but not good for the neutral if true. (Who turns up late)
    Dan
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    There is too much emphasis on kicks as it is with penalties, conversions and drop goals.

Prezactly - hence incentivising scoring a try by offering the potential for three extra.
  • Salsiccia
    Salsiccia Posts: 405
    I don't like many of the proposed changes. The idea of making the game more exciting is admirable, but I don't want that done at the expense of some of the nuances of the game. We all love running rugby, but forward play is just as rewarding when done well, it is an intrinsic part of the game. If I want to watch players running around non-stop with the pack having little influence, I'll watch Rugby League.
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    maybe they should change drop goals to say 2 points
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    When I started playing, hundreds of years ago in junior school, we were not allowed to kick and when I played as an adult, during training we were not allowed to kick, great fun :D
    Most tries that are scored out wide are well worked and axciting and if a conversion was 3 points, this is the most difficult place to kick from , so theres a chance that the better tries may get rewarded with 5 points where a try under posts gets 8?
    In addition to this, rugby is meant to be a team sport really and not reliant on one person who can kick so if you make it 3 points for a conversions this makes a team more reliant on a kicker..
    we could end up like american football bringing on a kicker?
    New rule, points for tries only, if even, sudden death :D
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Clever Pun wrote:
    maybe they should change drop goals to say 2 points

Penalties, but not drop goals, drop goals are pretty rare anyway.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • When I started playing, hundreds of years ago in junior school, we were not allowed to kick and when I played as an adult, during training we were not allowed to kick, great fun :D
    Most tries that are scored out wide are well worked and axciting and if a conversion was 3 points, this is the most difficult place to kick from , so theres a chance that the better tries may get rewarded with 5 points where a try under posts gets 8?
    In addition to this, rugby is meant to be a team sport really and not reliant on one person who can kick so if you make it 3 points for a conversions this makes a team more reliant on a kicker..
    we could end up like american football bringing on a kicker?
    New rule, points for tries only, if even, sudden death :D

It was the same at my school. Our PE teacher would let whoever he thought was the best kicker have a go at a conversion, but apart from that, no kicking and it was good fun.

As for these ELVs, surely the rule about kicking from the 22 will just create more aimless kicking down the field?
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    What is the point behind the 5m offside at a scrum rule???

I can only see a reduction in traditional forward play, and whilst trying to make the game more exciting, well why not make the ball round whilst we are at it... :roll: Ironically, this quest for more *exciting* running rugby is the main reason why I dont really enjoy watching rugby league - all the players are *backs* and there is little variation to the game.
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    The thing so many people miss about penalty kicks is why they are given, which is usually because one team has been put under so much pressure that they have to cheat to prevent a score. Think of that kick as the reward for nearly scoring a try.
    Reduce penalty points and you increase the incentive for a side under pressure to prevent scoring (tries) by cheating.
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K