I'm looking to buy a bike,help please, Scott Aspect 20?

Peakma
Peakma Posts: 6
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi all,I would like like to buy a new mountain bike.I have been searching for the right one for weeks now,I have read so many reviews,checked out so many online shops,and compared so many prices,that my head is swimming with so much information,I am as confused as I was at the beginning!
I will probably use it equally as much off road as on road(country lanes)After much research I have decided my ideal bike needs to have decent front suspension,with lock out forks,hydraulic disc brakes,and be fairly light weight.
I sat on a Scott aspect 20 today and it seemed to tick all the boxes,the only thing I wasn't so keen on is the colour,but I guess that doesn't really matter!
http://www.langsettcycles.co.uk/product ... Suspension
I can't seem to find any reviews on it,I just wondered if you lot had an opinion on it,or know of a better or similar alternative.

((unnecessary waffle below!)
I used to cycle a lot 10+ years ago,and was always off riding somewhere I loved the
freedom of my bike,it was like an extra limb! I had three stolen in total(which was heart breaking ,as I was so skint at the time!).Then over the past 10 years I've had three kids,and buying a good bike hasn't been top priority.So I've settled for £10 get you from A to B type bikes from carboot sales,that no thief would ever bother with.
But I decided it's time I got another decent one,so thought I should treat myself.
Started looking( absolutely clueless how much they cost,and how the components compare etc)with the intention of spending about £200,after looking around upped it to budget of about £400,then it seems you get a lot more for your money for a bike around the £500 mark,so that is absolute max price.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The fork lets it down. Its OK, but much better available on other bikes, like RS Toras.
  • Peakma
    Peakma Posts: 6
    edited April 2008
    Thanks for replying.Someone has also suggested the Decathalon Rockrider 8.1.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/rockrider-8-1-34963132/
    Any opinions on this bike? Am I just being a fool thinking a Decathalon wont be as good as an alternative popular brand?
    At the end of the day I don't want to be paying for a name,and maybe a bike from decathalon might not be as much of a thief magnet as a famous brand.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Decathlon make very good value bikes. If you like it and the sizing is right for you then go for it!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • TheBoyBilly
    TheBoyBilly Posts: 749
    Peakma, I take it from the number of posts that you haven't been on here very long so you may not be aware of the Ride2Work schemes that can get you a bike at a much reduced (almost 50%) through dealers such as Halfords. You could do worse than look at the Carrera range. But even at full price the Kraken looks good value at £399 or the Vulcan at £499. With the tax-saving scheme these would be brilliant buys and not such thief magnets as some brands (but would still need a decent lock)
    I asked this question a couple of weeks back and the GT hardtails in your price range were well thought of.
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde