mongoose fork

philwragg
philwragg Posts: 7
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi, i recently bought mongoose tyax eltie and have been doing some off roading. compared to other peoples bikes my front suspension doesn't seem to work that well, it only seems to move when i brake not when going over rocks. it seems very stiff is this normal?

Comments

• jeffers696
    jeffers696 Posts: 328
    what fork is it? dose it have any ajustment knobs on it?
    Specailized Enduro 08 - Beast
    OnOne 456
  • it's a Suntour XCM M-LO 100mm fork, yes it has lock out and is adjustable. had it on softest setting.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They can take a while to bed in. Its not a bad fork at all for a bike this price, but be aware many after market forks cost more than the bike itself!

What sag are you getting?
  • mr mangos
    mr mangos Posts: 174
    As Supersonic says it's good for the price. Not the greatest small bump sensitivity, even with preload backed right off which I assume you've done already, but it should still be soaking up the bigger hits.

When you say it doesn't move going over rocks, how rough is the terrain we're talking about? Have you tried putting a zip tie round one of the stanchions to see how much travel you're really using?

Most importantly, how does it *feel*?
  • My friend has this problem too, his has just sort of jammed up and barely moves at all! He rides the same bike
    Eat, ride, sleep. Repeat
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    SOunds like it needs a strip and service. Full diagrams from SR site, its fairly easy to do at home.
  • bikeperson45
    bikeperson45 Posts: 415
    Would fork lubricant help?
    Me like trials biking me do