handlebar upgrade

readyaimfire
readyaimfire Posts: 7
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
first time to forum and was thinking where better to get advise re handlebar upgrade -
Was thinking of upgrading to carbon bars - is this worth doing apart from looking nice?
If I do change bars is it then worth changing to the 31.8 stem as I have the 26.0 at the moment? - and lastly am i ok putting tri bars on carbon :?:
"No one ever died of tired legs"

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Carbon bars are a waste of money IMO - they don't really add anything noticeable to the bike apart from cost.

Spend the money on something better like nicer wheels/saddle/tyres/GPS etc.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • thanks - so unless cheap forget it
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    I've just removed a decent set of carbon bars from my bike, apart from a tiny bit of vibration, the replacement ( alloy ) bars feel the same.

Reason for removing was my tri bars have to be so tight I just didn't trust them on the carbon bars.... Bit gutted really as the carbon bars looked frikkin cool...
  • thanks - is rather what i thought on carbon bars a tri bars not sure i'd trust them
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The latest generation of carbon bars are OK for tri-bars e.g. Oval, Easton, FSA etc - just check the manufacturers bumf. I'd only fit carbon bars after you'd done everything else - there is very little perceptible performance advantage - and if racing, the risks of crash damage could make it an expensive upgrade.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • when you say latest generation you mean oversize :?: