what lube?

Felix-da-house-mouse
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
hi, what lube should i be using for my hardtail? apart from my drive components what else should i be lubing up? i've got finish line dry that i use for the roadie but i'm unsure on maintenance for the ht.

cheers
felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    for summer im a white lightning wax lube kinda guy,

doesnt clog up with dust and runs smooth but finish line is good stuff too
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    Finishline dry will be okay for summer rides on the chain.

You'll also need something like Multilube Plus for the fork seals, pedals, front and rear mech pivots, & brake lever pivots.

A decent grease for the seat post, hubs, & BB wouldn't go amiss either.

Anti Seize compound is a good idea too, for all those difficult to remove bits and bobs like BB, mech bolts etc.

Then of course there's the Locktite 243 for those bits which tend to work loose like calirer bolts.

All seems a little excessive to me!
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    castrol motorbike fork oil works on mtb forks however just the XC finishline works, i tend to use finish line dry teflon and if its crap weather the wet teflon
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • is there a set place for oiling the forks? i have fox vanilla's and i'm unsure how to keep good care of them along with the rest of the bike.
    felix's bike

• S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    Putting a finger-nail inside the fork stanchion seals and dropping a little oil in the gap and then cycling the forks a few times before wiping away the (dirty) ring of oil on the stanchion is all I do. The best port of call is probably the Fox website for specific maintenance, alternatively Sheldon Brown and/or Park Tool will probably detail generic lubrication requirements.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Did you get any manuals with the bike?
  • yeah i got manuels theres a fox disc in there as well so it'll prob give me info on that.
    felix's bike

• jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    white lightning epic is a good all round one :)
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • I'm into the Pedros Extra Dry Lubricant. You can try it if you want.
    Join me at SackUpSports Community http://sackupsports.com Climbing -
    Downhill Biking - Ski - Snowboard