Potential Numpty Question - Where can I buy a single cog ?

Fuzz Monkey Five
Fuzz Monkey Five Posts: 194
edited April 2008 in MTB buying advice
I took my rear wheel apart today to fix a broken spoke and noticed that two teeth are broken on a cog (22T I think) on the rear wheel.

I've looked on the web (evans, wiggle, chain reaction etc) and can't see just a single Shimano cog, all they sell are full 9 speed casettes. Can you buy a single cog ? Or is it a new rear casette ?

Cheers,
Dan.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ask your LBS they may have one. or it is a new cassette.

Are you sure the tooth is broken? they are some that are shaped to aide shifting.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    ask your LBS they may have one. or it is a new cassette.

Are you sure the tooth is broken? they are some that are shaped to aide shifting.

Good point Nick on the LBS, completely forgotten about them !!!

It's definately broken, I can see where they teeth are missing (jagged metal bit remaing where they used to be). It's a Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail (05) which I mainly use for commuting (4/5 days a week) and giving it a weekend XC / trails type ride so not an excessive ammount of wear and tear. Guess I should look at the chain too see if that is damaged.
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    have you taken the cassette off? you may find that the cassette is a 1 piece type one anyway, in which case you will HAVE to replace the whole thing, its probably better to do that anyway, as if its worn enough the you have broken off some teeth, the chances are the rest of the cassette ain't in a good state either.
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • Hoathy wrote:
    have you taken the cassette off? you may find that the cassette is a 1 piece type one anyway, in which case you will HAVE to replace the whole thing, its probably better to do that anyway, as if its worn enough the you have broken off some teeth, the chances are the rest of the cassette ain't in a good state either.

Looking at the rear casette in more detail this morning some of teh cogs are reasobaly well worn too, bit of teeth missing etc. The chain is looking reasonably worn to, so I'm thinking of getting a new rear casette Shimano XT 9 speed and a suitable new 9 speed chain. Loks liek a trip to the Bike Shed in Exeter for some bits.

ps - I see you're in Devon, same here, I'm Torquay based.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    XT cassette & Sram PC 971 chain is probably the best combo (well I think it is ;) )

You may also want to have a good look at the chainrings too, they might be worn as well.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    Hoathy wrote:

Looking at the rear casette in more detail this morning some of teh cogs are reasobaly well worn too, bit of teeth missing etc. The chain is looking reasonably worn to, so I'm thinking of getting a new rear casette Shimano XT 9 speed and a suitable new 9 speed chain. Loks liek a trip to the Bike Shed in Exeter for some bits.

ps - I see you're in Devon, same here, I'm Torquay based.

Yeah, me too, i used to work at the bike shed in exeter when i lived there. Its an awesome shop. chain wise the sram pc-951 is a good bet.
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Would second the combination of an XT cassette and 971 (or 991) chain. That's what I used to replace the Deore cassette and 951 chain that came with my Stumpjumper FSR. Seem to be fine and the XT cassette is way lighter than the Deore one was.

You probably are best off replacing the full cassette, if some teeth are damaged others are probably worn (particularly if you haven't change it since new). Chain will almost definitely have stretched so it will need replacing as well and there is a fair chance the sprocketts on the crank will be worn as well (you can buy those individually). I only got 500 miles out of my original chain, cassette and chain rings :cry: , I've bought a Park Tools chain checker now to stop it happening again. A worn (stretched) chain causes most of the sprockett damage, replacing the chain regularly will help lengthen the life of the sprocketts.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result