How to quickly wash cycling shorts?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
I know this might sound abit silly but how can you quickly wash cycling shorts? Is it ok to fill the sink up with some hot water and wash it out with washing powder? Then squash it to get all water out and then dry it with a hair dryer?

Also I dont want to sound like a dirty bugger cause I'm not!, but after a ride is it a must to have a shower or bath? I usually have a shower every morning.

Thanks
Willz

Comments

• Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    hey dude, no need to even use washing powder. I find the washing powder can get a bit irritating on the old nads if you use it every time and if your not able to rinse and spin properly, I wouldn't use any soap at all. What I do with my cycling shorts is just get the shower on them and give em a good rinse maybe even with some Johnson's baby soap and then stick them on the radiator or in the airing cupboard
    cartoon.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Ah right I see, you think some shower gel should be ok? Dont have any johnsons baby soap.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I just put mine in the washing machine with the rest of my washing.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    yea bro you can use what you like on them as long as you rinse it out properly otherwise your going to have pretty sore balls after a good few hours riding. :P :P

But like Red says, chucking them in the washing machine is cool also.
    cartoon.jpg
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    This is a problem I face all of the time as I only have three pairs of bib shorts but oodles of t-shirts, underwear etc, so I need to wash my cycling shorts far more often than I do a machine wash of other stuff.

I hand wash them in the bath with some non-bio liquid, refill the bath a couple of times to rinse (only about 1/4 way or less is required) and hang 'em up to dry after squeezing some of the water out. Waiting for pads to dry properly is annoying.

So you reckon it's safe to dry them on the radiator? It doesn't perish the lycra or whatever?
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    willhub wrote:
    I know this might sound abit silly but how can you quickly wash cycling shorts? Is it ok to fill the sink up with some hot water and wash it out with washing powder? Then squash it to get all water out and then dry it with a hair dryer?

Also I dont want to sound like a dirty bugger cause I'm not!, but after a ride is it a must to have a shower or bath? I usually have a shower every morning.

Thanks
    Willz

It's advisable to at least give your self a very good wash downstairs (front and back) there is a lot of sweating going on down there. You don't want any fungal diseases.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Find the daily wash cycle on your washing machine and take a shower. By the time you're done, your gear will be ready to stick on the radiator.
  • Anonymous
    hodsgod wrote:
    willhub wrote:

Thanks
    Willz

It's advisable to at least give your self a very good wash downstairs (front and back) there is a lot of sweating going on down there. You don't want any fungal diseases.

Yea I suppose so, my mum washed the shorts it in the sink, would not elt me do it for some reason :shock:

I'll go get a shower in teh morning me thinks.
  • What an odd question :)

At home, I put my cycling shorts in the washing machine with everything else.

Of course, that's easy to do when you have small children and the washing machine is running 24-hours a day.

Away from home, I just soak them in a tub of hot water with non-biological `travel wash' stuff and hang them out to dry.

As for showers, etc., whether you need to shower after cycling depends on how much you sweat and how sensitive are the noses of the people you live with. When I come back from a long cycle ride, my wife blocks up all the doors but the one leading to the shower. So it's not as if I have any choice in the matter ;)