Post Ride Care

Platti
Platti Posts: 130
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
What post ride rituals do you complete after a sessions or within a couple of days of a run.

I'm wanting to keep my bike in the best condition as possible but I really don't know where to start in terms of maintenance other than giving it a good clean.

Cheers.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Clean, rinsem dry, relube. Check over before next ride.

Good book like Zinn will show you pretty much the lot!
  • Paul Sh
    Paul Sh Posts: 607
    TBH, I think the best way to learn and look after your bike is to srtip parts off it to clean them, you will sharp know your way around your bike and know whats what doing it that way, having said that, if you really really really aint got a clue what your doing find someone who does and get them to stand over you while you do it. satisfaction guarenteed :D
  • Platti
    I think a book and possible a lesson from Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative might be in order. Read a few reviews on the Zinn and it seems to be a little hit & miss, would you recommend it supersonic ?
  • Paul Sh
    TBH I wouldn't waste the money on the book. there is more than enough free info on the net.
  • Platti
    Is it worth doing the class tho ? Really want to be in a position to pop my bike onto a stand and play around with it when needed. My current one (very heavy Raleigh full sus) clicks and squeaks and all sorts, I just keep adding more oil. I know thats wrong that's why I'm after a bit of a list of what to do after a ride to keep it sweet.

Love the Boardman btw, now you've either never ridden it or you need to tell me how to clean it like that !
  • Paul Sh
    I don't know much about the shop courses TBH or how much they cost, if you don't know anything then your bound to learn something (if you know what i mean), i said not to get the book, but i kinda take that back, if it's going to teach you something then it may be a good buy, my argument with the book is, all the info in that book can be found on the internet for free, if you like reading books and think you can understand it then go for it.

Edingburgh Cycles stock that book, you could pop in and have a look at it, but don't get disheartend, stick in there and just ask ask ask as many times you feel you need to as there is some very knowlagable people on this forum who will just hand you the information on a plate.

After every ride just check over the bike for things that might be ready to break or fall off,
    Check all bolts are still tight, Check all cables for signs of wear,Check wheels spin freely, and so on, so basically if it's on your bike, CHECK IT.

Mine is that clean because it was pretty new in those pics, it still looks just as clean now as i normally strip it to clean it, some may say that that is overkill but i find the results very satisfying.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Get the book. Honestly, it is excellent, I am sill learning from it, and it is to hand.
  • Paul Sh
    Will it not be a tad out of date now, you know how quick technology moves on.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    IIRC Zinn is updated yearly, although some bike technology hasn't changed much in years ;)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Platti
    Bought it, its in the post.

How often should I clean my chain ? Is it worth getting one of those wash type machine thingies that you run your chain through to clean ? Saw one in Halfords for about £11.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    those chain baths definatly make life easy for cleaning your chain.
    as for how often depends on how often you ride and the conditions you ride in.

winter muddy id clean mine every few weeks through summer not that often..

after every ride i always clean my bike with mucoff or fenwicks chamios it down then polish it,. give it a good check for damage chack everything is tight and snug.

before every ride i lube the chain check the brakes gears and make sure the wheels run true and free...

as for the zinn book i wouldnt be with out it,..

you can find all the info free on the net but when your outside trying to do one of those repairs time loading the pc to access the net is time lost riding,. you will always have the book to hand...
  • Paul Sh
    Ok, i'm gonna get slated to hell and back for this, i use a sram chain, easy peezy to remove, i then use parrafin to clean it i have done this for years and years without any detrimental effects, there is probably gonna be a thousand posts screaming DONT DO IT, but i'm old school......it's the way i am, unfortunately i don't believe in all this new techno stuff. BTW I'm not telling you to do it this way.
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    there is another way using 3 liquids? petrol, something and something? anyone know what they are.
    i've got a chain cleaner thing and its pretty good and i imagine it cleans the inside of the chain wher its important, but all i can see is the remaining dirt on the outside of the links. for £11 i'd give it a go, certainly better than doing nothing.
  • Platti
    Gonna buy a chain bath thingy, Zinn's book now here and looks good, just holding out for my first problem.
  • LordBanks
    LordBanks Posts: 358
    I snapped me chain, so bought one of those SRAM 'tool free' quick release chains, to be honest, their class, being able to just slip yer chain of, clean it, grease it then stick it back on, 10 minute job.
  • Platti
    that sounds like an easy way to sort it, how much are they ?
  • LordBanks
    LordBanks Posts: 358
    They start at about 15 quid and go right up to 40 odd. Their called 'Power Link'.

Also, with a regular chain where you need a chain-splitter to remome it, everythime you do, you weaken the pin, but with these Power Chain/Power Link types, its just a matter of pulling it together, slipping the plates together and popping of the chain.

To be honest, i was a bit dubious of a 'quick release' chain, i thought it would have the chance of coming of when i was pedalling, i've had a chain snap before and it hurts, smashed me chin on me bars, landed on the point of me saddle, then bounced onto the top tube then proceeded to drag me shins down me studded pedals.

But the way these chains work is when you pedal, that pulls the quick release system together tighter, so theres no chance of it coming of.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    You can justbuy the links (about 3 quid) and retrofit them to shimano chains, but SRAM chains are better!