New Spec Rockhopper Disc

Platti
Platti Posts: 130
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi all !

New here although I think you'll see my post count jumping up over the next few weeks. Been toying with MTBing for about 6 months doing a couple of adventure races and suchlike. My good wife came home the other day with a reciept for my new Rockhopper Disc, hopefully be picking it up by the end of the week.

So now I need to step my game up, just after a few tips and words of advice.

Looking to buy a decent lock - went to Halfords today and saw a couple of what seemed very good ones priced at 30-35 pounds which inc. £1200 insurance - anyone any experience with these or recommendations for any others ?

Also I really want to pick up some shoes/pedals. Dont want to spend too much to start with - a lot of my riding will be road/trail whilst commuting to work but I want the option to be able to use the same kit for my adventure racing. Again after recommendations please.

I'll leave it at that for now and carry on reading through the forums,

Thanks in advance !

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Halfords locks are very good. No lock is indestructable though - I'd actually buy two, a D lock like the Halfords Gold, and a cheaper cable lock. More of a deterrant.

Are you thinking of SPDs then? Good starter pedal is the Shimano PD520
  • icedmind
    icedmind Posts: 206
    you def need new pedal if u are not using shoe clip
    if you are not goin for spd, det ourself something like v8 or dx so you wont slip off your bike in mud or when its wet
    it should be fine after sort out the pedal, its a great bike
    get some picture after u got it lol
    08 Swork Stumpy FSR with 3 brains
    "2Brains. A Singletrack Mind ", from specialized <<<suppose if the rider doesnt have one
  • Platti
    Cheers, I'll have a look at all those, also I'll get some pics up as soon as I get it, should be Friday, will pester them to get it before tho !
  • icedmind
    icedmind Posts: 206
    o yea just remember one more thing
    get a saddle that fit you which most of the people require 143cm width
    as i remember the RH come with mostly 130 and which will fit everyone but not as well as 143
    if the shop is a dealer of specialized -probley is coz you brought the bike from there
    and sell specialized saddle get yourslelf a specialized phenom saddle and measure for a suitable size (either 130 or 143)
    ask the shop to trade in that new saddle so you wont pay as much
    they are the best saddle for mtb in specialized BG they are the mtb verson of topue
    you will feel real comfort riding on them

gloves could make you feel more comfort as well
    08 Swork Stumpy FSR with 3 brains
    "2Brains. A Singletrack Mind ", from specialized <<<suppose if the rider doesnt have one
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Platti - We have a 2008 RH Disk - it's a great bike but the standard pedals are simply a joke! we threw them away.

I put DMR V8s on mine (in fact all of our bikes) which grip well and are durable. I use the least spoddy SPD shoes I can find without cleats - get a stiff sole but without the splatting risks of SPDs. I think it's best to learn stuff on flats first (like bunny hopping) and either change to SPDs or stick with flats after some skill learning.
  • Platti
    Picked it up today !!!!!! Riding to work tomoz for an outing with it.

Looking good so far apart from the computer not picking up the magnet coz I can't get it close enough.

Also this is my first time with disc brakes and I'm loving them. When I spin the wheens I can hear a slight rubbing from brakes, is this normal whilst they bed in ?
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    Id go for a Shimano m520 spd pedal as well...not a beginners pedal just a budget one! And try a trail shoe instead of a race type shoe they are not as rigid and you can walk better in them.It dosent take long to "learn" Spd's and you wont ever turn back.
  • Platti
    Right then, SOLD ! Thats my next buy hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

How often do you guys fall off, having never used anything other than flats and being new to the off road stuff I've never fallen off, lets hope my first is on something soft.