Fred Witton weather advice

John C.
John C. Posts: 2,113
The Fred Witton is going to be a hard enough ride in the first place, but I don't want to be carrying unnecessary clothing or not have sufficient, so where is the best place to get a weather prediction the day before. The BBC appears vague in the lake district area or have I just logged onto the wrong part of their website?
Think I've trained enough , Rich says it's pretty flat anyway :lol:
http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
Hills are just a matter of pace

Comments

• Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Here you go,

Just hit the lake district/cumbrian fells section.

http://www.mwis.org.uk/

May see you there John. We did(my brother Richyboy and a few other crazy cyclists) Hardknott last week into a gale. It was hard. Hope we dont get that come the 11th of may.
    Brian B.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    Hi,.

Does anyone know the total climbing in the Fred Whitton?
    A few routes on bikely show just under 3000m, but have seen 3900 and 4000m quoted somewhere (it's an important difference!!)

thanks
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    I wouldn't put too much faith in the weather forecasts for two reasons - the weather in Coniston can be completely different to, say, Keswick and the forecasts are normally wrong anyway!

Last year the forecast was horrendous the day before, which probably contributed to the high number of no-shows. On the day it was almost perfect.
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    Even if the forecast says blazing sunshine I'm going to take a light waterproof (or at least showerproof) shell; I've been caught out by capricious Lakeland weather too many times before!

Brian, did you go up Hardknott on Sat 19th? I went up that day and the wind over the top was unbelievable. I actually got up the 'wall' and the last steep section ok (relatively speaking), but when it started to level out the wind must have been 40mph and I got blown off the road. As you say, that will not be welcome on the day.

As for the total climb figure on Bikely, I'm a bit suspicious of that as I've put some of my own routes in and the total climb comes out at a fair bit less that expected. However, I'm sure that there are many organisers/participants who are generous with their estimates of total climb (I've seen as much as 4,500m quoted for the FWC!).

Really really really looking forward to it now :D
  • dbg
    dbg Posts: 846
    Weather forecasts, esp. in mountainous areas are pretty much a waste of time - it varies so much. Did the White Horse Challenge in glorious weather yesterday despite every weather site forecasting (even on the morning) heavy rain!
  • Take everything you might need for any eventuality and then judge it on the day.....a jacket packed in your pocket is essential though as others have said it's impossible in the hills to tell what is going to happen - in 2005 it was sunny, dull, windy, rainy, hailing all on the same day at different times.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    edited April 2008
    nasahapley wrote:
    Even if the forecast says blazing sunshine I'm going to take a light waterproof (or at least showerproof) shell; I've been caught out by capricious Lakeland weather too many times before!

Brian, did you go up Hardknott on Sat 19th? I went up that day and the wind over the top was unbelievable. I actually got up the 'wall' and the last steep section ok (relatively speaking), but when it started to level out the wind must have been 40mph and I got blown off the road. As you say, that will not be welcome on the day.

As for the total climb figure on Bikely, I'm a bit suspicious of that as I've put some of my own routes in and the total climb comes out at a fair bit less that expected. However, I'm sure that there are many organisers/participants who are generous with their estimates of total climb (I've seen as much as 4,500m quoted for the FWC!).

Really really really looking forward to it now :D

I did and a few other managed as well. I stopped just before the cattle grid at the top and found it so windy that I could hardly walk in my cleats. A few others got blown off at some point in the climb. Normally after the last steep section where it levels off is where you know you have cracked it and get a breather - not that day though as the the wind was horrendous.

There was somebody on the climb before us and I watched that they got right to the top - maybe it was you.
    Brian B.
  • mozwyn69
    mozwyn69 Posts: 170
    Total climbing is about 3400 mts according to the altimeter on the watch which feels about right compared to other rides. The weather was great last year and I rode in shorts and jersey but pack for the worst regardless of the forecast. It will be a long miserable day If you get cold or wet.
    Sometimes you have to lose yourself
    before you can find anything.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Many thanks, I'll take full winter gear :lol:
    what are these hills you keep talking about ?
    Did Parkrash in the same gale, I couldn't believe how the wind hugged the ground so tightly. First time i've ridden such a steep hill still in a gale.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi John,

Weather prediction for this area just about as accurate as it is for the NY Moors...and lets face it...its not going to be any worse than our last venture :shock: and yes the terrain in the lakes is pretty flat...Honister/Hardknott/Wrynose are every bit as flat as Boltby Bank/Blakey Bank and the Rosedale Chimney....so should be comfortable in the big gears :wink:

Hardknott/Wrynose a week last saturday was very testing times...Park rash would av been no picnic either in those wind conditions....lets hope for some decent weather come the 11th...christ were not asking that much :?: