Planet X SL Carbon Pro Road Bike

doyler78
doyler78 Posts: 1,951
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
OK,

After much himming and hahhing over whether to go for the Focus Cayo or the Planet X I have decided on the Planet X mainly because there is LBS which sells them so I could get fitted for which I have already had done.

I just really hated the Tektro brake blocks. Am I just being stupid or should I upgrade which would mean changing the Dura Ace Mix Build to a full Ultegra Groupset at £175 extra. Also bike shop only seems to have the Reynolds wheels which seems to be last years builds wheels. Is it worth holding out for the Model B's or C's which are specced very light however I don't know how well they stand up. Not much user experience out there on them so a bit of risk I guess but I'm thinking its a risk worth taking.

Also seen a white framed time trial bike in the shop from Planet X and really did like the white frame, though black works for me too. If I do go white then black wheels, seat and bar tape a good combo for contrast? Have already bought a Specialized Toupe Gel (yes gel) Saddle in white as I was expecting to choose a black frame so would need to swap it out.

As I have been off the bike for nearly two weeks now because of hip probs it really isn't going to be a problem to wait a bit anyway.

As a matter of interest anyone know any good physio's in Belfast/Mid Down area as my current one seems to be making things worse rather than better. I went with niggles and now can't cycle at all. All these stretches only seem to be causing more probs than they are solving. I'm getting fat :o

Comments

• lilactime
    lilactime Posts: 86
    tekro brakes , not good enuf if your spending a grand , from pic they look the same as on my £ 200 dawes giro ?
  • JasonRwmb
    JasonRwmb Posts: 268
    I bought a SL Carbon Pro a couple of weeks ago.

Like you the 'cheap' calipers and wheels were my main concern. The Tektro R720 calipers do work ok, the only other road bike I have properly ridden had a Sram Rival groupset and I would say the Sram brake were better. I have taken a view that if when the pads need changing I really don't like the brakes, then I may think about upgrading. A pair of Ultegra calipers are fairly cheap, and they do look much much better.

I have the Model-C wheels on mine, again I was a bit put off by them looking fairly plain. However they are lightweight, spin well and have held true so far, although I have only done about 200 miles. For reference I weigh about 90kg. I have had experience of mtb wheels from On-One (Planet-X) and have found these to be fairly good.

When I ordered mine the only option was a silver saddle. A few pictures of the bike are here.

Let me know if you want any other info.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Don't "Upgrade" to Ultegra. Just buy some Dura Ace Calipers - won't cost you anywhere near £175.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13598

About £85 - far better than spending £175 extra on Ultegra!
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • RC21
    RC21 Posts: 166
    Don't "Upgrade" to Ultegra. Just buy some Dura Ace Calipers - won't cost you anywhere near £175.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13598

About £85 - far better than spending £175 extra on Ultegra!

You've linked to the Dura Ace ones - here's the link to the Ultegra's:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=540

Or some Ultegra SL's (not sure they'd go with your other components):
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26663

Not bad for £55 delivered - I'm going to do the same thing as you when I get my PX and buy these brakes - I asked PX if I could pay the extra for the Ultegra brakes, but they couldn't change anything on the spec; They said the reason they couldn't do it was to do with the fact they buy the components as a kit and can't deviate from them . . . which is fair enough.

I'm just waiting for the Model B wheels to come back in to stock so I can order the bike – Which I was told would be 3 to 4 weeks. . . .

I'm also thinking of replacing the FSA Gossamer compact chainset (50/34) with a Dura Ace/Ultegra one, but I’m not sure what options will work. . .
  • doyler78
    Thanks all. You have given me some things to think about there. I will discuss with my LBS to see if they can help with any of the recommendations.
  • I got one last year and asked them to put full 105 groupset on it. I did not want the tektro breaks or fsa crank.

I would suggest changing the break pads immediately and don't go for Shimano either. They will wear away your rims. I have had koolstop but I like to try a variety so this time I got swissstop.

I also have the reynolds alta race wheels and have had no problems with them but others complain of broken spokes. I think they are great but I don't know what you mean about model b and c.

My main concern about mine is I think the frame is too small. I am borderline between small and medium. I got a small with large stem. Now I cannot change my handlebars because I cannot find any that equal their long reach and I already have an long stem.
  • doyler78
    I also have the reynolds alta race wheels and have had no problems with them but others complain of broken spokes. I think they are great but I don't know what you mean about model b and c.

These:

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... d_279.html

They are Planet X's own wheels.

I think I will probably just go for the full Ultegra build as it seems the easiest way of getting a full range of good quality components rather than the mismash of the dura ace/ultegra/fsa/tektro mix and as I am no mechanic I would only have to get someone else to do the swapping over components that I wanted change. Let's face it Ultegra is still a really great groupset to have.