Roller advice and getting started

Matty1235
Matty1235 Posts: 125
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
I recenty invested in some rollers, to improve my pedalling action and keep the legs moving when I can't get out. But so far all I have managed is to look at them wondering how on earth I get started. Do I where my clipped pedals? Do I put some kind of cushion either side for the inevitable fall?. Any links or advice would really be appreciated to give me the confidence to get on and ride.

Thanks

Comments

• Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Hope this helps you out.

Adiós
    Doobz
    Step1 - Adjust your rollers for the bike you will be using. Generally, you want the front drum to be just ahead of the front hub.

Step2 - Make sure your tires are in good condition and properly inflated.

Step3 - Set your rollers up next to a table, counter or in a door frame. You want to be able to catch yourself if you start to fall. Be sure to place yourself away from sharp or dangerous objects, in case you do happen to fall.

Step4 - Understand that when you ride rollers, you have no momentum. If you do fall off at speed, you won't fly into the TV at 30 mph; you'll just flop over.

Step5 - Put the bike on the rollers, get on the bike and clip into the pedals.

Step6 - Relax. Take a deep breath.

Step7 - Start in a high gear. When you improve, you'll be able to pedal in very low gears, but in the beginning, it helps to use bigger gears.

Step8 - Start pedaling while still holding onto the table, counter or door frame. Get the wheels up to speed. The faster the wheels are going, the easier it is to balance.

Step9 - Let go of the table, counter or door frame.

Step10 - Concentrate on your spin. Keep it smooth.

Step11 - Try not to look down. You may watch the front wheel, but many people find that it's easiest to fix on a point a few yards ahead.

Step12 - Shift gears when you start getting comfortable.

Step13 - Have fun. Soon you'll be able to ride no-handed.
    cartoon.jpg
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    pretty much as above but to start off with just use flat peddles. It gets easy very quickly, you really need to be doing about 20mph to make balancing easy, cooling off is quite an art as you have to slow down, which is when you wobble :lol: have fun.
    one last thing,
    DO NOT swerve to miss your cat or dog if it walks in front of you, I did :oops:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    John C. wrote:
    DO NOT swerve to miss your cat or dog if it walks in front of you, I did :oops:

:lol::lol:
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    Yes I did... and I can report that although it was pretty intimidating after the first attempt - all it needed was a bit of mental readjustment and encouragement and now I'm fine on the rollers. I think my problem was simply that I thought it would be easy and not really require much in terms of balance - thank goodness I was wrong
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    BUICK wrote:
    I thought it would be easy and not really require much in terms of balance - thank goodness I was wrong
    The plus-side is that once you learn to ride them, your balance and pedalling technique improve in leaps and bounds. Def worth perservering with.