Toes become numb

dapa
dapa Posts: 7
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi

Can anyone tell me why my toes start to go numb after about 20 minutes riding?

I have always worn a standard trainer when riding. I thought that the numbness occurred due to not having cycle specific footwear.

However I have recently purchased a pair of Specialized BG Taho MTB Shoe and I am still experiencing the numbness in my toes.

Is there anything I can do to relieve the numbness?

Comments

• dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    Try thicker socks or lacing the toes up tight.

Sounds like your toes are heading too far forward. If you lace your shoes up tighter they will stay in place better.
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    where are your feet on the pedals? are you on the balls of your feet so to speak?
  • milkywhite
    milkywhite Posts: 534
    dhxcme wrote:
    Try thicker socks or lacing the toes up tight.

Sounds like your toes are heading too far forward. If you lace your shoes up tighter they will stay in place better.

I find I get numb toes if my shoes are TOO tight, or if I wear socks that are too thick. I reckon it restricts the bloodflow.

Also I experienced problems with my SPDs when I first started using them. My cleats were too far forward on the shoe. I know you're not using SPD but the same principle applies. Make sure the balls of your feet are where you're applying pressure through the pedal.
  • xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    Give your toes a good wiggle every few minutes to get the blood flowing. Do this right from the start of the ride.
  • I noticed that when using some cheap (road) pedals that had a 'ridge' along the back end of the pedal I got numb big toes. Although it's hard to imagine all I can assume (as it never happend with other pedals) was that this raised ridge was affecting blood flow a bit.