Nice ride today.

redddraggon
redddraggon Posts: 10,862
edited April 2008 in The bottom bracket
Metric Century through the hills of N. Wales.

dsc00708smallqr6.jpg

dsc00709smallfs5.jpg

dsc00711smallrx1.jpg

Bikes? What bikes?

dsc00704smallxh8.jpg

dsc00707smallso1.jpg

I saw hundreds of bikes today, the majority of them motorbikes (what's so fufilling about speeding around the countryside like a w@nker?) or MTB on/in the back of cars (I suppose that's what you get cycling past Llandegla). I only saw 1 guy on a road during the whole ride.......where was everyone? All the beautiful countryside is going to waste....loads of decent climbs and quiet roads - can't beat it for road cycling.

Good luck to anyone doing the Dave Lloyd Mega Challenge - it looks like it's going to be tough...and I missed out most of the difficult climbs today.
I like bikes...

Twitter
Flickr

Comments

• feel
    feel Posts: 800

I saw hundreds of bikes today, the majority of them motorbikes (what's so fufilling about speeding around the countryside like a w@nker?) .

I was out on my motorbike today, I didn't think that the numerous cyclists i saw were w@nkers :roll:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    The photos look stunning- bet that was indeed a great ride. I was at work today :evil:
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    As well as cycling the lovely lanes of North Wales this morning I was out on my motorbike (on the very road you pictured, Llandegla moors) this afternoon.

Luckily no W$%&£R cyclists got in my way....... :roll: :roll:

Nice photos though matey... :wink:
  • redddraggon
    feel wrote:
    I was out on my motorbike today, I didn't think that the numerous cyclists i saw were w@nkers :roll:

Cyclists don't tend to do irresponsible and dangerous overtaking maneuvers (overtaking cars rather than me - they seemed to give me plenty of space) at above the speed limit - that was the majority rather than the minority, quite a few were responsible.

I was suprised to see my double overtake (passing a car that was already passing another car), when they kept doing it I gave up being suprised. No wonder they call them "donor cycles"

So my "w@nker" comment didn't come from generalisations but from what I'd seen from the majority during my ride - sorry if I offended any responsible motorcyclists out there.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Think you might find there are more fatalities on bicycles than motorbikes and that there are quite a lot of irresponsible cyclists riding up the inside of lorries, ignoring red lights, riding without lights etc etc but still wouldn't generalise about them. Anyway apology accepted :wink: and envy you the fantastic scenery :)
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • redddraggon
    feel wrote:
    Think you might find there are more fatalities on bicycles than motorbikes and that there are quite a lot of irresponsible cyclists riding up the inside of lorries, ignoring red lights, riding without lights etc etc but still wouldn't generalise about them. Anyway apology accepted :wink: and envy you the fantastic scenery :)

Sounds like a typical town/city commuter. Unfortunately they are the majority in Warrington (where I commute - only 5 weeks left though). Most normal road cyclists seem to behave though.

Only two (I think - I only had to stop at 2 reds anyway) sets of lights in the whole 62 miles.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    I also had a nice North Wales ride today, went up Aberhirnant to Lake Vyrnwy and then up Bwlch y Groes and then did some more climbs around Bala, passed a group of roadies on the descent to Lake Vyrnwy, that's about it. But it never seizes to amaze me the amount of mountain bikes on cars, not the most enviromentaly friendly are they? :wink:
  • just back from a 3hr 45min blast throught the cambs countryside and wow! it was awesome! got my layering right - 3/4's and no shell - so was just flying.

the only thing that would have made it perfect would have been if I was on my Nago. Still it was pretty damn fine none the less

Hope you all ride well today!

Gats
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    Was great out is Suffolk yesterday ( saturday ) , shame there was Grand Prix qualifying stuck in the middle of the day to cut my riding time short.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26062400@N04/2444652741/in/photostream/
    exercise.png
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Went out friday and the weather was wonderful, nice and bright but not too warm, didn,t seem to be too many cars either which is a big plus :lol: All I needed was shorts,vest and a s/s jersey, perfect.
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    well I had a very chilled out 60 miles yesterday Reddragon and great weather, blue skies sitting out drinking a cuppa at the cafe
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • White Horse Challenge for me. 90 miles at an average of 79% MHR for just over 5 hours. I am in agony now and am welded to the sofa! Didn't rain tho!
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    Just got back from a day riding and also watching the Cirle Classic race in Rutland.
    Weather man forecast rain but it was an absolutley glorious sunny warm day.
    160 competetors charging round the Leicestershire an Rutland countryside.
    Sat in the village of Owston with live commentary from Hugh Porter (bbc commentator)
    some really good racing
    A perfect day :lol:
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • redddraggon
    A pic from last week (taken with my phone hence the poor quality)

image005yg4.jpg

Bwlchgwyn isn't actually that high, but the sign made me feel a bit more positive.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Wow RedDragon - those top pics from today? I cant believe that was in North Wales.

I was in North Wales today and it was POURING down. At one point on the way to Mold I had to stop because it was raining so hard and the visibility was very bad.

Awesome pics tho mate. Ya never know, we may bump into each other sometime if your riding around the same places as the mega challenge route.

Adiós
    Doobz
    cartoon.jpg
  • redddraggon
    They were from yesterday. I don't see many cyclists about though.

I try to avoid Mold, it disturbs the peace and quiet, I go around it, either north or south.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    ohh cool - I thought I was getting frowned on by the weather gods or something. Yesterday was awesome and a few of my mates said the riding was great. I was stuck in work till 4.30 tho so didn't manage to get out on the bike.

I feel the same when I go through Connahs Quay. Its like going through hicksville.
    cartoon.jpg
  • redddraggon
    Doobz wrote:
    I feel the same when I go through Connahs Quay. Its like going through hicksville.

You seem to be picking the worst places to go through. I suppose you haven't got much choice coming from Wirral. I can manage to avoid most of the built up places.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr