edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Hi guys,

need advice on pedals and shoes.

Clipless or clipped?

which ones are worth a look?

Comments

• becmark
    becmark Posts: 7
    I didn't have much cash left (after my new bike purchase) for fancy pedals and shoes so I went with these.

- Shimano PD R540 SPD SL Clipless Road Pedals +Cleats (from ebay)
    - Specialized Sport Road Shoes Black (from Wiggle)

I'm very happy with them. Especially the Specialized shoes. They fit really well (and for once size 8 is a size 8!)
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    if you are road riding SPD SL are deffo the ones to go for a very easy and secure entry system and wide platform
  • scapaslow
    scapaslow Posts: 305
    You need to decide on the cleat/pedal system you want to use. There are a few different ones:
    SPD - small cleats used by mountain bikers and some roadies (like me)
    advantages - these are recessed into the shoe so that you can walk in them. Handy when you get stranded and need to push the bike.
    SPD SL - a much larger cleat and wider platform, a lot of roadies use them (i've just never tried them). Difficult to walk on but i'm sure have many advantages.

Then there's various other other types LOOK, Speedplay etc...I can't help you with these.

Pedals - one sided mechanism or two? With standard SPDs you can have one side like a normal 'flat' pedal or dual sided. I find the dual sided much easier to clip into but the single sided can be good as a starter in case you don't get on with them. Most Shimano SPD pedals are good.

Once you've decided on the system you want then buy the shoes. Best to get fitted at a shop for this. I use some basic Shimano SPD shoes which are the same size as my regular shoes and have been great so far. Many people seem to find that shoe sizes in different brands are not always the same.

Once you've gone clipless (and fallen over a couple of times) you'll never look back whatever system you choose. They are a huge benefit.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Google shimano A530 and shimano A520 I have both (on different bikes) the 530 are double sided, cleats on one side, normal shoes on the other, useful if you are riding in town a lot or think you might be nervous. You can get them on ebay for about £25.
    The 520's are single sided and lighter and, to my mind, look a bit better on a road bike.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • gtr mart
    gtr mart Posts: 176
    I use MTB cleats at the moment with some shoes that are hiking style so very easy to walk in. I am undecided about using MTB cleats on both my mountain and road bike or if the benefits of road spds (would probably get Ultegra ones) justify another pair of shoes and the cash for the cleats themselves. Any advice?