Just bought Garmin 305 edge, any tips?

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
I am just unboxing and loading the software, any tips on what and what not to do, and are they any good?

Not sure I have done the right thing selling my Polar CS200!!!

Cheers

Flyer

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Yes, keep your receipt handy for when it fails and you have to return it under warranty, also download latest training centre software from website or you will have all the know bug problems, and also upgrade the untit firware.
    Ceck the following forum for tips, problems etc:
    http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    my tip similar to old welshman, take it back. My friend had one and had nothing but trouble with it. hardware and firmware.

Credit to Garmin though, their service was excellent.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    rubbish - they are excellent - never had a problem with mine - owned for just over a year - taken to the alps, did a c2c, a couple of long day rides and loads of training mileage - all of which generate tons of interesting / useless information and statistics - you'll love it!!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    hi, I also haven't had any problems. For a while I was speaking to Garmin about the crap HR data that I'd been seeing - in one sportive I did, I cycled for miles and miles over 230bpm! Turns out my heart was faulty and the garmin was right. :lol:
    I would recommend frank.kinlan.co.uk as a starting point - he's got some tutorials on there on how to plot routes etc. That's how I started anyway. I personally have found the Garmin to be a great tool in trying out different routes without having to stop and read maps every five minutes. I recently bought a polar cs400 (just to check the HR data as I didn't believe the Garmin) and it has never worked and is going to be sent back.
    Good luck with it.
  • popette wrote:
    hi, I also haven't had any problems. For a while I was speaking to Garmin about the crap HR data that I'd been seeing - in one sportive I did, I cycled for miles and miles over 230bpm! Turns out my heart was faulty and the garmin was right. :lol:

Wow! I hope you've consulted a cardiologist about this :) Heart problems that give rise to sustained heart-rates of > 200 per minute are pretty unusual in otherwise healthy people.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Hey CrookedCucumber - I've seen the cardiologist and should be fixed within 5 weeks or so. I've done max HR tests before and only got to 165 so when I saw it go up that high, I just assumed that the machine was wrong. Bought a different monitor which showed the same thing and got myself checked out. I have an atrial flutter! Still absorbing that information :) Been out cycling today and it was probably the first time that I've not tried to go as fast as possible. :wink:
  • popette wrote:
    Hey CrookedCucumber - I've seen the cardiologist and should be fixed within 5 weeks or so. I've done max HR tests before and only got to 165 so when I saw it go up that high, I just assumed that the machine was wrong. Bought a different monitor which showed the same thing and got myself checked out. I have an atrial flutter! Still absorbing that information :) Been out cycling today and it was probably the first time that I've not tried to go as fast as possible. :wink:

Ah, OK. I don't know how those heart rate monitors work -- I guess they must be sensitive enough to pick out the atrial rhythm rather than the ventricular. Not that it's any of my business anyway -- I was just curious :)
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    my 705 has been faultless so far!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • pingpong
    pingpong Posts: 97
    I used my 705 last sunday for the first timeon my first Audax and I was very impressed wit it.After getting my head round all the file transfers and stuff, I can honestly say (personally) it was money well spent :lol:
  • ARob
    ARob Posts: 143
    love mine, wouldn't go on a ride without it but routes are hard to plot. i use mapmyride as its easier to exsport to the garmin but you only get the track. hence when you get to a junction you can see the route goes left/right and follow that.

leave it on for 3-4 mins before you start so the altimeter settles.
  • ARob wrote:
    love mine, wouldn't go on a ride without it but routes are hard to plot. i use mapmyride as its easier to exsport to the garmin but you only get the track. hence when you get to a junction you can see the route goes left/right and follow that.

Don't know if it's the same on the Edge, but on my Vista I find it easiest to follow a track when I set the display to `track up' rather than `north up', which is the default. If you're on the right route, the track will always be vertical in the display (except when turning).

I also find it _enormously_ helpful to export waypoints as well as a track (I do this from Google Maps). Seeing the waypoints on the map makes it a lot clearer which way to go.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    gkerr4 wrote:
    rubbish - they are excellent - never had a problem with mine - owned for just over a year - taken to the alps, did a c2c, a couple of long day rides and loads of training mileage - all of which generate tons of interesting / useless information and statistics - you'll love it!!

Well you can say rubbish, all I can say is after 3 months, mine decided to switch off going over bumps, up to 10 times a ride I had to restart it.
    Then once when I connected to laptop, it wiped out my entire data history !!!
    Both of these are apparently known problems.
    Then after this it would not connect to pc via usb to upload data.
    Check out the forum I posted earlier and you will see how many people have had the same and other problems.
    I just think it is a poorly designaed and constructed device.
    maybe Garmin agree as the RMA (replacement or fix) cost if fixed at £57.
    You may have been lucky with yours but not everyone has been.
    I am waiting for my replacement as we speak.
    I do not use mine for gps, mainly for hr and route stats.( when it stays on)