trouble getting chain onto large front chainring

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
a few weeks ago i had a new front chainset fitted at local bike shop, now everytime i change down to middle or small chainset i cant get the chain to go back onto the large chainset, unless i stop and put it on, i have tried adjusting the low and high gear screws but still it wont do it, does it mean the gear cable is to taut or to slack, and i wont ever get it on unless i slaken the cable and do it all again.

Comments

• feel
    feel Posts: 800
    probably a little cable adjuster somewhere if you look carefully. You should try and put the high and low screws back to where they were.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • ma123
    ma123 Posts: 87
    Look at park tools website there is a good how to page.

When playing with the limit screws remember little turns at a time and read upon it before trying to fix it.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Put the bike on a stand and rotate the pedals and pull on the front changer to change, not the gear lever, if it does not go on large ring, the limit screw needs adjusting, if it does go on, then cable too slack.
    You use this method to set up the limit screws before adjusting tension.
  • andy610
    andy610 Posts: 602
    ive now managed to get it to change onto all the 3 chainwheels it now just needs slight adjustment as it catches on the outside of the front derailleur i need to do the indexing adjustments, but when i adjust the barrel adjuster it dont seem to make much difference so should i turn barrel adjuster anti clockwise fully then loosen the cable and take some slack out then ajust the barrel adjuster clockwise until it dont catch on derailleur cage
  • djkmtb
    djkmtb Posts: 53
    andy610 wrote:
    ive now managed to get it to change onto all the 3 chainwheels it now just needs slight adjustment as it catches on the outside of the front derailleur i need to do the indexing adjustments, but when i adjust the barrel adjuster it dont seem to make much difference so should i turn barrel adjuster anti clockwise fully then loosen the cable and take some slack out then ajust the barrel adjuster clockwise until it dont catch on derailleur cage

That's why I posted the link to the video. :!:
    I had to do it.