Chain Catching Problem

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

I don't really know much about bikes, but I've got a problem and I'm wondering if you guys could help me out with it. Basically I bought a racer a while ago, and the chain catches on the gear mechanism (the one near the pedals). So you know, it makes an audible clacking noise every time the pedals go around. If you're wondering, my bike is a bit like this one, only slightly cheaper:

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/bikedetails.aspx?ID=5449

I tried taking it back to the shop, so the guy messed around with it a bit and told me it would always be there, on the highest and lowest gears. Is this normal? Or is there something wrong with the bike? It doesn't really affect the functioning, it's just annoying.

The only problem is, I had some new pedals/ brakes fitted to it, so I don't think I'll be able to get a refund.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• feel
    feel Posts: 800
    ben82uk wrote:
    Hi,

I tried taking it back to the shop, so the guy messed around with it a bit and told me it would always be there, on the highest and lowest gears. Is this normal?

Thanks.

completely normal, always avoid biggest chain ring with biggest gear at back and vice versa.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi, as FEEL said, the chain will always rub on the inside of the front deraileur when used at the extremes. When on the smallest front ring just use the largest half dozen rear sprockets, and when on the largest front ring use the smallest half dozen rear sprockets.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!