Preload on Fox 32 Van R's

dawnophile
dawnophile Posts: 157
edited April 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Trying to set the sag properly on a set of '07 fox 32 vanilla R's.
With the preload dial wound on full, I get about 25mm sag in the 'attack' position (about 17-18%)
With the preload wound fully the other direction, I get about 25mm sag (about 17-18%).

Is the dial supposed to do anything? Or is it just there for show?
I am quite light (10.5 stone) and running the light spring if that has any bearing.

The front end does feel a little high, so if anyone has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    I'm 11 stone and use a medium spring on the same fork, which is verging on too soft for me.

Winding my preload either way doesn't influence sag any noticable amount, it just makes the fork 'stiffer' to compress.

When I bought my bike I got a soft and medium spring with it, but I think new ones are about £30... :shock:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you are on the cusp of the purple and blue springs.

adding preload compresses the spring meaning that more weight is needed to start the fork compressing but it does not change the spring rate.

if you got the same sag then you were not in the same position. Or the fork is faulty.

have you ridden the bike yet?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dawnophile
    dawnophile Posts: 157
    I've been using the forks for about 8 months, and I started off using the medium spring. Found I wasn't using all the travel, so tried the lighter one. I bottom out every once in a while, but the fork is generally performing better.
    I've tried measuring the sag in all sorts of positions, and the figures I stated were both in the same position, standing on the pedals, weight more or less central. I can only assume the preload is faulty.
  • Sounds like you have a fault....somewhere.
    Not techy minded enough to diagnose though.
    I have '07 Van 32 Rs and my preload works,in as much as the sag difference is noticeable.I really can use each click to fine tune my sag setting.

I also think I'm oversprung seeing as I've only bottomed out once (and got snakebite for my trouble),but that's a whole new thread for Nick to advise me on :lol: j/k btw Nick :wink:
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me