Manchester to Blackpool

JKO
JKO Posts: 29
I have signed up for the Manchester to Blackpool Ride in mid July and I wonder if anybody did this last year. It is 60 miles and will be my first ride of that distance. I am currently in training and expect to be well capable of the milage by then.

However, just wondered what the terrain is like. Are there many hills and, importantly, are they steep !

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i did it last year - and will again this year if I have recovered from my knee surgery in time.

there is a little bit of a drag up to Haigh hall - other than that, there aren't really any climbs

don't worry - you will be fine - there were 4500 other cyclists last year - they will just carry you along!! - it's a really good day!
  • JKO
    JKO Posts: 29
    Thanks for the quick respone. Sounds good - really looking forward to it.
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Good day out. It was my first big ride and found it a piece of piss. It was this ride that got me hooked and got me to sell my Hybrid and get a "proper" bike!!
  • TomF
    TomF Posts: 494
    It's pretty flat all the way there and back (you are riding back, aren't you.... :D )

Enjoy!
  • CumbrianMan
    CumbrianMan Posts: 240
    Like everyone else says, it's an easy ride, with just the odd climb in there.
    When you get to Stanley Park in Blackpool, they have it barriered off with a run in to the finish line, and everyone is cheering you on.
    I had a sprint with 3 or 4 other guys to the line - great fun.

Then we rode back to Mcr. Ended up with a saddle shaped bruise on my backside (!) and a big grin on my face, as it was first time I'd done 120miles in one day.

Just keep your wits about you as you leave Mcr, as I heard a few people coming down !

Good luck. :D
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"