Removing Thread Lock ?

jedi_master
jedi_master Posts: 888
edited April 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Anyone got any recommendations on how to remove hardened thread lock from the threads. of a bolt ? Tried a wire brush but there still remains some thread lock, i'm trying to clean the thread completely. There any liquids that can dissolve it maybe? like that liquid you can get to debond super glue.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    run a tap down it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    When using the high strength Loctite for fixing bolts never come undone again the only way to release the bolt was to warm it with a flame or blow torch and it would soften and come undone. You could try doing the same if it’s on blue 248 medium strength and then wire brush the threads.
  • jedi_master
    Its not a high strength one, i have already removed the bolt with no problems. There is a tap set in the shed i'll have to have a butcher and see if there's one the correct size for the bolt.
  • nicklouse
    i have to ask why do you want to get it all off?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • jedi_master
    Its the crank bolts that i've taken off and the thread lock i want to remove is some hard excess stuff near the top of the thread. Taken the cranks off and stripped them to give them a good clean thought i might as well give the bolts a nice clean as well.
  • nicklouse
    are you going to be putting more thread lock on? yes? then dont worry to much.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    nicklouse wrote:
    run a tap down it.

Or even a die!

As you say if it's being reassembled it doesn't much matter. Leccy drill/driver held gently in vice, bolt in chuck, spin slowly while cleaning thread with bradawl/nail/random pointed object/wire brush gets the worst out.
  • nicklouse
    D'oh :wink: