Have you ever wondered why....?

cyclingfury
cyclingfury Posts: 676
edited May 2008 in The bottom bracket
The Police Tape at a crime scene is always upside down. By the law of averages it should be the right way up at least half the time, shouldn't it?

There is a little raised dot on every telephone keypad. Apparantly to allow blind people to negotiate their way around the numbers? (There are raised dots on the letters F and J on computer keyboards too).

All watch and clock adverts show the hands in a ten to two position. Someone told me that this is to produce a smiley face effect to sell more products??

I'm off to ponder more mysteries of our strange world...........

Comments

• Shadowduck
    Shadowduck Posts: 845
    The Police Tape at a crime scene is always upside down. By the law of averages it should be the right way up at least half the time, shouldn't it?
    You're clearly not an engineer. If you were, you'd know...

"If there's exactly 50% chance you'll get it right, there's exactly 100% chance you'll get it wrong."

:mrgreen:
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Peasoup
    Peasoup Posts: 63
    bit off thread, but it reminds me of an old joke...

an engineer, mathematician and scientist are all asked what does one plus one equal

the scientist says one plus one is two

the mathematician says one plus one might be two

the engineer says one plus one is two, but we'll call it five just to be safe.

:?
    er... guess you have to be an engineer for that one

sorry.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You know, I've never wondered why the police tape is upside down at crime scenes. Fact is, I've never even scene a police crime scene.
    I don't tend to hang around the crime scenes for long, for fear of being caught! :lol:
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    There is no helping you lot :? .It is because it was printed the wrong way round....faulty batch ....Home office bougth it cheap as a job lot . :roll:
    bagpuss
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Peasoup wrote:
    bit off thread, but it reminds me of an old joke...

an engineer, mathematician and scientist are all asked what does one plus one equal

the scientist says one plus one is two

the mathematician says one plus one might be two

the engineer says one plus one is two, but we'll call it five just to be safe.

:?
    er... guess you have to be an engineer for that one

sorry.

Ask the same question of an accountant and the response is "what would you like it to be"...
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Why wrong numbers are never engaged?
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • Shadowduck
    All watch and clock adverts show the hands in a ten to two position. Someone told me that this is to produce a smiley face effect to sell more products??
    I saw this and thought of you. :mrgreen:
  • davidmiller
    davidmiller Posts: 320
    ...ask the same question of a patent attourney and you'll get all of the above answers and more!!

Any PA's in de house??

DM
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    (There are raised dots on the letters F and J on computer keyboards too).

They're the 'home' keys so that touch typists (like my wife) don't need to look at the keyboard. When I used to edit the Tandem Club Journal and received hard copy she could tape the page over the vdu (to save looking sideways) and enter it all in without looking and with few errors. I still maintain I did the clever stuff - editing and that :lol:

Why is it when I unfold an OS map it's always either upside down or the wrong half?

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Shadowduck
    Geoff_SS wrote:
    Why is it when I unfold an OS map it's always either upside down or the wrong half?
    I believe that was covered by...
    Shadowduck wrote:
    "If there's exactly 50% chance you'll get it right, there's exactly 100% chance you'll get it wrong."
    :wink:
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    What are the farmers up to ?? the roads are thick with mud at the moment. Muck spreading?

Also, why does gardening take so long? I don't do it often (probably part of hte problem) but weeding takes forever. I did about 3 hours and only covered a 4x1m patch of ground. There must be a quicker way - how does anyone have time for this?
  • geoff_ss
    popette wrote:
    What are the farmers up to ?? the roads are thick with mud at the moment. Muck spreading?

Also, why does gardening take so long? I don't do it often (probably part of hte problem) but weeding takes forever. I did about 3 hours and only covered a 4x1m patch of ground. There must be a quicker way - how does anyone have time for this?

In my case I married a market gardener's daughter. She won't let me anywhere near 'her' garden - perhaps it's because she once heard me suggest that the best top dressing would be 3" of concrete :lol:

Suits me. She still likes (even loves) cycling and she doesn't mind my spending time playing with my toy aeroplanes.

Geoff
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Lol - I once "weeded" a small fuschia which the other half had carefully nurtured from a cutting. Now I only have to do the lawn and edging!
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Geoff_SS wrote:

They're the 'home' keys so that touch typists (like my wife) don't need to look at the keyboard. When I used to edit the Tandem Club Journal and received hard copy she could tape the page over the vdu (to save looking sideways) and enter it all in without looking and with few errors. I still maintain I did the clever stuff - editing and that :lol:
    Geoff

Was it the same with typewriters?
    I have pain!
  • geoff_ss
    ivancarlos wrote:
    Geoff_SS wrote:

Geoff

Was it the same with typewriters?

Yes on electric ones and probably on mechanical ones too

Geoff
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    Why does it always rain when you're about to leave work? Or rain more at the weekend?

Why is the finish line always further away than you thought?

Why does the sun shine during exams?

Why do you always go into a room in your house for no reason?

Why do always get to the top of the stairs only realise you forgot to bring the thing with you that is downstairs?

Why is the screwdriver/alan key always just out of reach?

Why is it some days you can type and others you cam't?!

Oh hum.
    Every winner has scars.