Sportives and entry fees

Is it me being to tight or are Cycle Sportives in this country becoming very expensive to enter ?

I was going to enter the Archer GP Sportive but at £21.00 entry fee to ride around the Chilterns (which are on my doorstep) I decided to give it a miss.

Compared with the cost of entering continental events is it becoming a case of 'Rip Off Britain' in our sport ?
Come on you Hatters !!!

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    £21 isn't much for a day's entertainment. A cinema ticket costs a tenner. But for the same money in Europe, you get closed roads, showers and more.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Kléber wrote:
    A cinema ticket costs a tenner.

Nah it's half that, I pay about £4 in Manchester.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Kléber wrote:
    £21 isn't much for a day's entertainment. A cinema ticket costs a tenner. But for the same money in Europe, you get closed roads, showers and more.

I think economies of scale come in on continental sportives. Numbers are usually much greater.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Nickwill wrote:
    [I think economies of scale come in on continental sportives. Numbers are usually much greater.
    Most events also tend to be sponsored by cycling related and local businesses too so the entry cost is subsidised by that revenue. Or they use it to give each rider a decent entry pack full of sponsors products.

With regard to the OP, I don't think entry fees are that extreme, especially when compared to the fees for entering a triathlon.
  • mekonta
    mekonta Posts: 58
    There's a huge amount of work that goes into organising these rides and while entering a few a year does start to add up - I don't think you can accuse them of being overpriced.

Certainly compared to racing it seems an absolute bargain. Most road races are £10 - £20 for a few hours riding and if you're not in the prizes at the end, you'll get little back for your money. In a sportive you'll get timing chips, entry pack, food and drink at multiple points and marshalling over 100 miles.

Plus I think it's fair that the organisers make a profit from the event - as I said, they work hard, and should have an incentive to keep putting on the rides.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I think road racing is the bargain really - when you look at what goes into a road race and the entry fees they charge they rely on volunteers just to break even. You might have 80 people paying £12 to race, for a sportive you might have 1000 people paying £25.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    I thought it was, then I saw the amount of work involved and the fact most of them donate to charities such as Marie Curie which I am happy to give to. The cheapest rides I know of are organised by Darlington Council which charge about six quid and that includes a T shirt.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • How does £7 for 25 minutes (+/- 5 mins) grab you? Thats the going rate for open TT's this season for single entries for events up to 50 miles. 100's and the 12 hour are more expensive again. Few clubs do it and make any money out of it. I reckon £21 for half a days massed start "racing" with free food and drink thrown in is a bit of a bargain.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    This has been debated before and although I do understand the work involved, I do believe they are a tad expensive in UK compared to continent.
    This is why I only ride a couple a year just to do something a bit different.
    I would definately not consider one every weekend or even one a month.
    I also live by the Chilterns and ride them every week so the last thing I would want to do is ride them in a sportive !!
    I do enjoy riding the odd sportive especially on a challenging route with nice scenary also and enjoy the group spirit of the ride (mostly anyway)
    So for this year its the Marmotte and Pinarello gran fondo abroad, and currently only registered for Dragon in UK but will prob ride one or two more.
    Interestingly by the time you work out hotel costs and travel costs, there is not much difference in doing the two foreign ones compared to two I did last year Dartmoor and Cymru Gran Fondo.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    The fact that some sportives cost £30 to enter and are sold out within a day, or less, suggests that they are good value i.e. not "expensive". The Fred Whitton could have sold three or four times the number of entries. I'm stilll not sure about the Tour of Wessex though...

Audaxes - which can be longer than sportives - mostly cost around a fiver, and for that you get tea and cakes and sandwiches but no signage, no marshalls, no timing chip, no insurance, no support if you break down.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    I totally agree. Simple case of supply and demand. I remember paying £14 to enter the Fred Whitton a few years back and had the luxury of posting my entry 3 weeks after it opened and still being in the 400s.

I generally stick with the charity ones although I did do the Cheshire Cat because of Mow Cop and the South Sportive last year after a free ticket was offered and I gave an entry fee donation to charity.

I'll be on the GFC because it's my club event (ex club now). Big guy hopefully on my Colnago Extreme Power. Expect fireworks! (Local derby!)
    Paul
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Got to agree with the OP (otherwise he'll moan at me on the next club run :wink: ) - some of the prices charged are getting daft. £50 for the British Etape last year was particularly steep, yet it still sold out in days. I don't think this indicates that prices are right, just that there's a lot of people with more money than sense.

Audaxes are a snip - £4 for a 200km. Yes, you have to grow a big bumbly white beard and ride with a saddle bag and tent on your panniers, but as a tight wad, when in Rome............. :wink:
  • Bronzie wrote:
    Got to agree with the OP (otherwise he'll moan at me on the next club run :wink: ) - some of the prices charged are getting daft. £50 for the British Etape last year was particularly steep, yet it still sold out in days. I don't think this indicates that prices are right, just that there's a lot of people with more money than sense.

Audaxes are a snip - £4 for a 200km. Yes, you have to grow a big bumbly white beard and ride with a saddle bag and tent on your panniers, but as a tight wad, when in Rome............. :wink:

I did the Beacon RCC audax in Feb, not a single unshaven chin in sight let alone grey hairs. This was reflected in the pace, which was not far from that of the Dragon last year. I reckon choose your audax's wisely young Master Luke, and the path will be clear......
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    I dont begrudge the entry fee. For all but local events which I can ride to the fee is a smaller part of the entry cost when travel/lodgings included.

Also when comparing like for like, why is it sportives cost similar to those in France while a 3 course meal (with good service and a great steak as main course) can be had for €16 there but would probably cost £25+ here. Now that's a rip off.
    Martin S. Newbury RC