Bib Shorts - Why?

lochindaal
lochindaal Posts: 475
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
My thoughts on bib longs is to keep you warm during the winter and get some extra upper body protection. This is probably a complete newb misconception.

Under my theory bib shorts don't make sense as it is warm.

What's the advantage over standard shorts?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    More comfortable. Nothing needed to be tied around the waist to keep the shorts up.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Avoids the old 'builders crack'................
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    helps keep the belly in due to their part corset properties
  • I prefer wearing them for the fact that they don't need an elastic waist band to keep them up, which usually tend to dig in after a while. Also, after the winter season where I put a few extra pounds on, they do actually help hide that lol. :P
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    They keep your "hey-hey" out of the way-hey.
  • Adamskii
    Adamskii Posts: 267
    I don't see the point in bib shorts either. My non bib shorts work just fine.
    It's all good.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    I wear ordinary shorts too and non bib longs, but use braces to keep them up.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    They allow for great Freddie Mercuryc1974 impressions...
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I prefer normal shorts/longs and use braces to keep them up. Much more convenient for toilet stops etc. Bib shorts must be even more inconvenient for women.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Adamskii wrote:
    I don't see the point in bib shorts either. My non bib shorts work just fine.
    You obviously haven't suffered CBBB syndrome then :wink: !
  • Adamskii
    Adamskii Posts: 267
    CBBB?!
    It's all good.
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    i use bib tights, can never seem to get the clean shaven legs look. anyways bib shorts basically hold you together and less pressure on your waist/gut with the 8panel+ stuff. try a pair of altura bib shorts then youll know its comfortable..
    whats cbbb?
  • My father raced in the 60s and 70s and is very jealous of my bib shorts since he always rode in shorts with the elastic snipped out and a pair of braces to hold them up - as did many of his friends.
  • Spinner28
    Spinner28 Posts: 58
    Bib shorts means the lycra stretches & moulds better to your body, therefore getting rid of any baggy bits particularly around the bum & crotch area. When you get out of the saddle if there's any loose bits they can snag on the nose of the saddle. This can be dangerous as it can pull you down as it's hard to sit back down when this happens!
    They also do provide extra cover for your lower back which, particularly in winter, can help to protect the kidneys from cold. Particularly if there's any gap between what would be your shorts & your jersey, jacket etc.
    The best sheep are in N.Yorks
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The actual lycra shorts are available because they are the most comfortable shorts you can wear on a bike. The bib part is to stop them coming down around your hips.

The insert in bib shorts take the place of your underwear for protection of your crown jewels.

Everything is made for a reason.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I have used both and not noticed much of a difference except in the price. I actually
    prefer the shorts. Reason being that's it seems to be a bit easier to take a pi** alongside
    the road or put on a bit of butt butter if needed.

Dennis Noward
  • Spinner28
    Spinner28 Posts: 58
    Bib shorts are easy enough to take a pee in. Well not actually in, you know what I mean! Skinsuits, now that's a different matter entirely!!!
    The best sheep are in N.Yorks
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Adamskii wrote:
    CBBB?!
    Cyclist's Bifurcated Beer Belly :oops: ! Once it gets to a critical mass the pot is too big to tuck in to ordinary shorts but also too big to have hanging over the top, so one ends up with a waistband cutting into the middle. It isn't comfortable. Er, allegedly...
  • COVEC
    COVEC Posts: 213
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    They allow for great Freddie Mercuryc1974 impressions...
    More importantly they allow the "BIG DADDY" look to be carried off easily :D and give the missus a good laugh in the morning :D Well, right up until I proceed to give her a back breaker followed by a full nelson :oops: :oops:

COVEC
    Ps. they are fairly comfortable also
  • lugster77
    lugster77 Posts: 50
    Well, right up until I proceed to give her a back breaker followed by a full nelson
    lol :D:D