Race of Truth, shall I go for it?

markos1963
markos1963 Posts: 3,724
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Had a spare hour so I thought I would take out the winter hack(Raleigh Record Sprint) and have a go at a standing start 10 mile TT. I checked the distance on Google Earth and warmed up nicely riding to the course. I did 29m 49sec over a rolling course with 2 road junctions in it. I was well pleased as I had planned to do sub 30 mins at the end of the year, and even more pleased when I realised that I had mudguards,2 bottles,pump and a saddle bag loaded on!
Now my point is, shall I take the plunge and enter a proper TT?
If I do what further training would be usful?
What is the process of entering?
Likely costs?
What happens when a newbie like me turns up?
Is my Orbea Onix good enough and how is best to set up for it?

Looking forward to your advice/comments/sarcasm(delete as applicable) :)

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    go for it. You're racing against yourself, not anybody else!

I did 29.34 for my first crack at a 10 on monday! gusty headwind back in too so pleased with that. [the time,not the headwind] :lol:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    markos1963 wrote:
    Yes
    markos1963 wrote:
    Have a look at this thread: http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12566414
    markos1963 wrote:
    For your first outings, I'd suggest an evening club event. Find a local club (use British Cycling's Club Finder or Cycling Time Trials club list) that runs an evening series thro' the summer and just turn up and ride. You don't have to be a member of any club for most of these, although some may request you join on a temp basis for insurance purposes.

"Open" events are a bit more formal and you need to be a member of a club affiliated to CTT (organising body for TT's in England and Wales). You need to send a CTT standard entry form to the organiser before the closing date for the event (usually 10 days prior) with cheque. You may not get a ride on a popular event if you dont have any fast enough previous performances on your entry form (rider limit usually 120 people).
    markos1963 wrote:
    Likely costs?
    Club events £2-£3, open events £5-£10
    markos1963 wrote:
    On a club event, you'll probably get a warm welcome from the promoting club. On an open event, maybe not so much as it'll be assumed that you know what you are doing.
    markos1963 wrote:
    Yeah, nice bike. Pump your tyres up hard (track pump job). Consider fitting clip-on aero bars if you enjoy your first few outings, but be aware that you will also probably need to move your saddle forward to get a better position.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    a_n_t wrote:

:lol:

I'm not so sure about that. Seems to me that most of the racers are more than curious
    as to how they compare with the other riders. Add to that the fact that there are winners and losers. If this isn't racing against other people I don't know what is.

Dennis Noward
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    dennisn wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:

:lol:

I'm not so sure about that.

well if I could do a 20 min 10 i'd probably "race" too!

most people probably just want to improve their own time.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Bronzie wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:
    Yes
    markos1963 wrote:
    Have a look at this thread: http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12566414
    markos1963 wrote:
    For your first outings, I'd suggest an evening club event. Find a local club (use British Cycling's Club Finder or Cycling Time Trials club list) that runs an evening series thro' the summer and just turn up and ride. You don't have to be a member of any club for most of these, although some may request you join on a temp basis for insurance purposes.

"Open" events are a bit more formal and you need to be a member of a club affiliated to CTT (organising body for TT's in England and Wales). You need to send a CTT standard entry form to the organiser before the closing date for the event (usually 10 days prior) with cheque. You may not get a ride on a popular event if you dont have any fast enough previous performances on your entry form (rider limit usually 120 people).
    markos1963 wrote:
    Likely costs?
    Club events £2-£3, open events £5-£10
    markos1963 wrote:
    On a club event, you'll probably get a warm welcome from the promoting club. On an open event, maybe not so much as it'll be assumed that you know what you are doing.
    markos1963 wrote:
    Yeah, nice bike. Pump your tyres up hard (track pump job). Consider fitting clip-on aero bars if you enjoy your first few outings, but be aware that you will also probably need to move your saddle forward to get a better position.

Many thanks Bronzie, on the subject of set up I have about 25mm of spacers and my stem flipped, should I change any of these to get a more aero profile?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Reducing your bar height will certainly make you more aero - look how the pros ride at 25+mph on standard bikes - backs very flat, shoulders only just a bit above their hips.

Not comfortable mind, but fast.

The more you ride in the position, the better you will get, so don't be surprised if your first outings in new position feel very wierd and uncomfortable.