Galaxy or Steel Sardar?

Herb Robert
Herb Robert Posts: 5
edited April 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hello all wise folk,

I'm looking for a tourer that will take the rough with the smooth. I have read the sadar review and have found a 2007 steel version which I'm tempted by. Also the galaxy and Kara Kum. Any experience of each much appreciated. Will be carrying heavy loads for long sometimes rough surfaces.

Best,

Herb

Comments

• Must have not written anything interesting enough!
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    The touring side of this forum doesn't get as much traffic as some - give it time.
  • culverwood
    culverwood Posts: 256
    Will be carrying heavy loads for long sometimes rough surfaces.

If you are going to be carrying heavy loads on rough surfaces I would go for the Sardar although I do not have that model myself my touring bike for that type of journey is a 26" wheel steel framed bike. I also made sure the wheels had plenty of spokes, 36. Having done this I can safety say the only damage to the wheels has been at airports not on the road. The clearances are greater and you can fit fatter tyres if you need to.

I do not know if the Sardar is set up for front panniers but I am a convert and now use four of the Carradice waterproof front panniers instead of just two heavy ones on the back.
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    I have an older Sardar, the pukka tourer rather than the newer hybrid. It has randonneur bars and front lowriders.
    I can't compare it with a stock Galaxy because mine has rebuilt wheels with a heavy duty rear hub and spoking. Horses for courses; George the Galaxy has worked fine on all sorts of terrain, though I do have to keep an eye on the spoke tension.
    The Karakum was a cheaper alternative to the Galaxy IIRC.
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • Thanks guys,

I have settled on a Galaxy in the end, after much deliberation!