Gearing?

tbeat
tbeat Posts: 119
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
im converting from moutain biking to the road and im looking out for my first roadie bike. maybe im wrong but ive noticed some bikes are maybe 20 speed or 27 speed. whats the norm? and what is reccommended?

Thanks
tbeat

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It's hard to recommend anything without knowing your abilities and the terrain you are likely to face.

e.g. A 50-34 and 11-25 does me well in bumpy N. Wales.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Shadowduck
    Shadowduck Posts: 845
    Welcome to the boards!

I'm afraid what is recommended depends on who you ask... :lol:

The basic options are either standard double (39/53), compact double (34/50) or triple (30/42/52ish) front rings with an 8, 9 or 10 speed cassette somewhere around 11-25ish. Which you need depends how fit you are, what you're planning to do and to a certain extent what you're willing to spend.

Maybe tell us a bit about yourself and your riding, we might be able to give a more specific answer but a lot of it's just preference!
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • tbeat
    well it would not be for club racing or anything, just to improve fitness, and to tackle the hilly and bendy roads here in Northern Ireland! i suppose it depends on how much i want to spend.
  • tbeat
    thanks for the welcome guys, i was looking at specialized allez elite model and possibly giant scr1 08 model.
  • Shadowduck
    tbeat wrote:
    thanks for the welcome guys, i was looking at specialized allez elite model and possibly giant scr1 08 model.
    Never ridden either but they both have good reputations. I think they both come with compact chainsets, which is a sensible option and will give you gearing similar to reddraggons.
  • gtr mart
    gtr mart Posts: 176
    I am about to buy a bike and am considering the gearing option closely.

I am torn between holding out for a tripple or to opt for something that is available to me now, which is a compact twin and the option to put a rear cassette on with 28 teeth instead of the usual 24/25 to get the lower ratios.

I am worried I am not fit enough to get up the hills with just standard compact gearing.
  • Shadowduck
    gtr mart wrote:
    I am worried I am not fit enough to get up the hills with just standard compact gearing.
    You might not be now, but if you ride regularly you soon will be! Remember, some of the hills that nearly kill you the first couple of times will soon be slight rises you barely notice...

I'd say it's better to choose gearing that'll suit you in a few months and put up with pushing occasionally in the meantime, rather than ending up undergeared. Unless you live somewhere ultra-hilly you'll be fine with a compact once you've got a bit of tone into your legs. :wink:
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    After I bought my first road bike which came with a 42/52 I had the same issue and after many different views which included "triples looking wrong on a road bike ??!?" I plumpled for a standard compact which has done me fine. I live on the edge of the pennines and compared to the 42/52 a compact is fine for the hills here

I guess Northern Ireland would be any hillier so depending on how you feel a compact should do as as Shadowduck wrote it will become easier
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i find you get used to what you have.

i have a 12-25 on the back and 39-53 on the front.

i went up ventoux last week without too much bother.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    peejay78 wrote:
    i find you get used to what you have.

i have a 12-25 on the back and 39-53 on the front.

i went up ventoux last week without too much bother.
    Good point there. 52/42 with 13-19 or 21 on the back was standard for decades and people still managed. However, it is nice to have the option for lower gears that 9 and 10 speed cassettes and compacts provide.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Trevor

I was in a similar position a month back. Not coverting (as MTB is my 1st bike), but bought my first road bike.

I bought an 07 Allez Elite after testing a few different bikes with different gear sets.

The 53/39 and 12/27 gears give you a good range.

Strangely I was initially more concerned about the highest gear not being high enough, but now I really appreciate that 27 tooth rear cog on some of the hills round me.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • chopper1
    chopper1 Posts: 45
    i second red dragon, 50/34 and 11/25 or 12/25 as you improve and maybe get into racing its easy enough to change to a 50/39.
  • gtr mart
    gtr mart Posts: 176
    I bought the bike with the compact in the end - I figured I should just grow a set and train hard. Had the first ride (its a trek 5200 carbon) and it feels great. Much quicker than my MTB on slicks is.

Turns out its not actually a compact either but 39-53 with 12-25 on the back.

I went on the basis that that is the gearing I want to aspire to ride on so would train with that, then before doing a 120 mile charity event that starts in the lakes (so plenty of hills...) and finsihes on the other side of britian (yorkshire possibly) I would put a 27 tooth rear cassettwe on if needed and the bike shop would do it for £17

Hopefully I wont need to change otherwise I think I will be in trouble....