Feeling a bit upset this morning...

helz
helz Posts: 406
edited April 2008 in Commuting chat
I had a horrible ride to work this morning - a double decker bus driver almost knocked me off for no apparent reason - he suddenly cut in front of me and swerved into the bus stop. After I'd stopped, managed to get back into the flow of traffic and started to overtake him he opened his little window and yelled something at me - not really sure what because he had a very strong African sounding accent but I did catch the words "in the road". It really shook me up - the fact that people can be so reckless with other people's lives. He was REALLY close and it what he did was incredibly dangerous, especially with the roads being so wet this morning.

Then when I got to Tower Hill I suddenly heard an almighty thud and saw a motorbike had hit two pedestrians and they were all lying in the road. I went over to help (I'm a first aider so usually have a rough idea what to do) and found that nobody was very badly hurt. The female pedestrian had a nosebleed and was really shaken and upset. I sat on the kerb with her for a while (getting soaked) while we waited for the ambulance. I'm not sure exactly how it happened - from what the motorcyclist was saying he went through the light on amber so I'm not sure how he came to hit two pedestrians.

Anyway, nobody's badly hurt, but it was all a bit unpleasant and I can't concentrate on my work today so I just wanted to share!
*´¨)
`.·´ .·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´
Power to the pedal

Comments

• FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129
    I once had a bus driver do that to me on Oxford Street early in the morning. After I'd gone past him I cycled in the middle of the road but he overtook me by going around the wrong side of a traffic island before pulling in at the next bus and nearly taking me out again. All told, he was a bit of a ****er.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I make a point of knowing exactly where every single bus stop is on my route and riding with the assumption that is going to happen at each one, although that only helps to a point. Buses overtaking a cyclist before pulling into a stop is on a par with cars overtaking a cyclist just before a left turn that they intend to make.
  • Totalnewbie
    Totalnewbie Posts: 932
    I'm sorry to hear that Helz. I have few problems with the buses but you do get the odd A-hole. Good for you stopping and helping though.

When I am forced to get a bus, I always smile and say thanks to the driver as I swipe my Oystercard, and 9 times out of 10 they just stare at me morosely like they think I'm being funny. It's not just cyclists they don't like, they don't have much regard for their passengers either!
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Shame Helz, here's a hot cuppa and a ginger nut for you, I'm just back from the kitchen.

I hope you got that bus's details and reported them?
  • Swannie
    Swannie Posts: 107
    Helz,

Sharing is good. As someone who is hoping to pass his First Aider at work on Friday, I'd be stopping too. And I know I'd be talking to the most experienced First Aider here (St Johns regular), to ease my mind that I'd done all I could, etc.

#1 First Aider responsibility - look after yourself :-)

Well done for stopping and helping. And the bus driver, probably never rode a bike in his life.
  • helz
    Thanks guys. I didn't get the driver's details unfortunately, that didn't even cross my mind until it was too late. I know I should have done though. I don't normally have problems with bus drivers on my commute either so this came as a bit of a shock.

Good luck with the First Aid at Work test on Friday Swannie! I passed mine last summer and haven't really had to use it at work yet, but there have been several incidents outside work where someone's needed help so I'm really glad I did the first aid course. In the past I might have just been getting in the way if I stopped and tried to help after an accident, but now I feel much more confident that I can actually do something useful.
    *´¨)
    `.·´ .·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´
    Power to the pedal
  • Totalnewbie
    Totalnewbie Posts: 932
    I would have probably been the same Helz - the time I was clipped by a car, I was so shocked and furious that in the ten seconds it took me to realise that I should get his reg, he had sped off (and it was uphill so no way was I catching him!)
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Aren't all busses in London fitted with cameras to catch drivers in the bus lanes? If so, the camera might well have caught the dangerous manouvre on you.
    Do you have any other details of the bus/driver at all? The strong accent could be enough to identify the driver and hence the bus he was using at the time. Complain to the company.

I don't envy you witnessing the accident. Well done for stopping and helping, just having someone there was probably very comforting.
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    Helz,

Sorry to hear of a bad ride. Well done for getting up and getting on with it and then helping others. If there were only more like you!

Ad
    FCN 10
  • helz
    Thanks you lot, you've made me feel a lot better! Although I'm still not particularly looking forward to the ride home (but at least my clothes are almost dry!).
    *´¨)
    `.·´ .·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´
    Power to the pedal
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    helz wrote:
    I had a horrible ride to work this morning - a double decker bus driver almost knocked me off for no apparent reason - he suddenly cut in front of me and swerved into the bus stop. After I'd stopped, managed to get back into the flow of traffic and started to overtake him he opened his little window and yelled something at me - not really sure what because he had a very strong African sounding accent but I did catch the words "in the road". It really shook me up - the fact that people can be so reckless with other people's lives. He was REALLY close and it what he did was incredibly dangerous, especially with the roads being so wet this morning.

Then when I got to Tower Hill I suddenly heard an almighty thud and saw a motorbike had hit two pedestrians and they were all lying in the road. I went over to help (I'm a first aider so usually have a rough idea what to do) and found that nobody was very badly hurt. The female pedestrian had a nosebleed and was really shaken and upset. I sat on the kerb with her for a while (getting soaked) while we waited for the ambulance. I'm not sure exactly how it happened - from what the motorcyclist was saying he went through the light on amber so I'm not sure how he came to hit two pedestrians.

Anyway, nobody's badly hurt, but it was all a bit unpleasant and I can't concentrate on my work today so I just wanted to share!

Well, your day can only get better, certainly not worse. Too bad about your start.
  • bmb8jpp
    bmb8jpp Posts: 6
    Apologies these pix are so big, but look what a bus did to my bike on tuesday night on oxford road in manchester:

Image023.jpg

Image024.jpg

Feel very lucky i walked away with a grazed elbow. The tw@t didn't even stop!
    [/code]
  • helz
    Oh my god, how did he do that? Did you report him? Glad you're not too badly injured.
    *´¨)
    `.·´ .·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´
    Power to the pedal
  • hamboman
    hamboman Posts: 512
    holy shizzle! glad you're ok.

Do like the way you still locked it up though, just in case some one tried to ride off on it!
  • bmb8jpp
    @Hamboman: It's manchester, people nick anything. Not really, think i was still in a daze, and it's a good place to keep my lock!

Have reported it to the bus company, apparently they're going to interview the driver...

He pulled out of the bus lane from a queue of stopped buses without any warning, as i was along side him, so i made it round the front of him, at which point he noticed me, so he beeped his horn cos i was in front of him. How dare I! :roll:
    Then he just kept coming despite there being a queue of cars further ahead so i wasn't gonna slow him down in the time it took me to get back to one side. But he still decided to ram my back wheel! Lunatic. :evil:
    I'm just hoping i can get some cash out of them for a new back wheel. And very lucky/glad i could walk away!

jimbo
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    bmb8jpp wrote:
    @Hamboman: It's manchester, people nick anything. Not really, think i was still in a daze, and it's a good place to keep my lock!

Have reported it to the bus company, apparently they're going to interview the driver...

He pulled out of the bus lane from a queue of stopped buses without any warning, as i was along side him, so i made it round the front of him, at which point he noticed me, so he beeped his horn cos i was in front of him. How dare I! :roll:
    Then he just kept coming despite there being a queue of cars further ahead so i wasn't gonna slow him down in the time it took me to get back to one side. But he still decided to ram my back wheel! Lunatic. :evil:
    I'm just hoping i can get some cash out of them for a new back wheel. And very lucky/glad i could walk away!

jimbo

I think a report to the police is also called for, failing to stop at the scene of an acident is a serious offence and this maniac should never be allowed behind the wheel of a bus again
    <a>road</a>
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    bmb8jpp wrote:

jimbo

I think a report to the police is also called for, failing to stop at the scene of an acident is a serious offence and this maniac should never be allowed behind the wheel of a bus again

2nded
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    bmb8jpp

Where abouts down Oxford Road did it happen? I know it's pretty bad down by the uni.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    bmb8jpp wrote:

jimbo

Exactly right... this is a hit and run :evil: Contact the police immediately with all the details.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Glad you're still with us bmb. Hope you get rolling again soon.

Suggested bus driver forfeit - one week's compulsory two-wheel commute over your route.

It would be interesting to see if the idiot had the bottle, still less survived it.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • bmb8jpp
    redddraggon
    I was going south down oxford road. I'd only just left work, the buses were all queued up in a line of about 6 at the bus stop outside MRI, so they went right back to the lights with grafton street. I was about half way down the line when the one that got me pulled out. Road was empty southbound apart from me and a few other cyclists further back. So i guess he saw no cars coming and just thought he'd go for it!

SmellTheGlove
    I didn't really think my route was that bad to be honest! Might have to rethink that. Will be rolling again as soon as get a new wheel sorted. Just glad i built up that old frame when my ancient specialized had to retire injured, rather than commuting on my shiny new orange P7!

Have phoned police, but told to go to police station in person, so will be doing that asap, then can brandish the official incident number at the bus company!

Look out for buses everyone! Hope everyone's making the most of the sunshine whilst i'm stuck on the train. Typical, survived the winter and am off the road as soon as it gets light!
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    bmb8jpp wrote:
    Look out for buses everyone! Hope everyone's making the most of the sunshine whilst i'm stuck on the train. Typical, survived the winter and am off the road as soon as it gets light!

pffft, 5 minutes with a spoke key & that wheel will be good as new :D
    <a>road</a>
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    bmb8jpp wrote:

pffft, 5 minutes with a spoke key & that wheel will be good as new :D

Surely you wouldn't need a spoke key even!! I saw something somewhere on here that said just clattering it off the ground at the right spot would see you good as new!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.