Which bike is better for a 39 year beginner?

mrwibble
mrwibble Posts: 980
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
Looking to spend around £500 and I have narrowed it down to Focus Fat Boy, Genesis Altitude 00 or Carrera Fury. Which is the best for the price but I do like the thought of having the steel frame?
Thanks for the time.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    All are very good for the money. It will vcome down to what feels or fits best. Go and see them in the flesh.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Focus - I believe are only available from Wiggle, therefore you're looking at mail-order only. If you're a complete beginner, I wouldn't advise this as it complicates backup, support, etc.

Genesis - looks like a winner for the money, plus you get your steel frame. Steel is the magic material!

Carrera - One word. Halfords. Their backup, technical knowledge and customer service levels vary enormously from store to store. From a personal stand point I'd avoid them like the plague.

If I can give you any advice at all as a noob, it's this - visit loads of dealers, try loads of bikes. It's the only way to find one properly that suits you.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • mrwibble
    Would the steel frame be best for me and which is the best fork, the RockShox Dart 2 Lockout 100mm or Rock Shox Tora 289, 100mm or the Rock Shox Tora 318 U-Turn fork?
  • supersonic
    Again, what frame is best is pure preference - see if you can try them. Steel is generally heavier, but more comfortable.

I can say that the 318 Tora is the best fork, and both are a way ahead of the Dart.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I have the 2007 Fury with Tora 318 and I love it,with a few upgrades it rides like a much more expensive bike. I cant vouch for the 2008 Fury as i have not seen the spec but if you can get a 2007 at a reduced price (I paid £439) you will love it !!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    And steel is a preference,

I actually prefer alu rides but thatsme ilike the stiffness for pwering down. i used ride a fair amount of street and alu builds stiffness was really a bonus.

Go to as many bike shops as possible and test. but i woid generally avoid halfords too
  • mrwibble
    If I was to buy from Halfords I would buy boxed and set it up myself.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    i have still heard a few too many horror stories from local halfords to want to buy from there
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    I agree with being cautious when buying from Halfords, but... I love my '07 Fury.
    Great spec for the money. The U-turn Tora's are great performers.
    Just make double/triple sure you check everything is tight & right way round when you get it. Don't forget, even if you get it boxed, it will still be partially assembled.
    Oh, and (from my experience) don't bother with the "free 6 week service" :shock: I think they should actually call it "free 6 week fill-out-a-sheet-saying-you-should-wash-it-more sevice" :roll: I honestly don't think they even looked at mine.
    Only problem I had with the Fury is the wheels. :oops: You WILL break plastic tyre levers :evil:
    But when you've got Park tools webbie, who need Halfords :wink:
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    mrwibble wrote:
    Would the steel frame be best for me and which is the best fork, the RockShox Dart 2 Lockout 100mm or Rock Shox Tora 289, 100mm or the Rock Shox Tora 318 U-Turn fork?

What's best for you all depends.

What you will find is that whilst aluminium frames may well be lighter than the steel one at this price point, they have to be "beefed up" to be as strong. What this can result in is a harsh-feeling ride which can be wearing over a long period. A steel frame has more natural spring to it because the tubes are generally small diameter and thinner walled.

Certain manufacturers such as GT and Orange have come up with designs that let their aluminium frames either transmit vibrations into the top tube (GT) or flex a little (Orange) to overcome any harshness.

The Tora 318 U-turn is higher up the range of RockShox forks, above the 289. They both sit above the Dart. Again, as with anything else, the higher up the range you go (in theory at least) the better the build quality, included features, performance and adjustability.

Having looked at your short-list I honestly think that the Genesis is the best bet. But again, it's up to you, go test, talk to dealers, make your decision.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I bought my Fury from Halfords but ,as I had heard bad things about their technical ability,I built it up myself and then got my LBS to check it over for me . I didnt see the point in not buying what was at the time the best specced XC Hardtail available for £439 by a long way just because it was a Halfords bike.

I have a much trendier Kona in the shed that I have not used since !!

Just buy the bargain and get a competent mechanic to build it for you .
  • *Maxi*
    *Maxi* Posts: 10
    Just bought a Fury from Halfords through Cycle2work scheme. As advised here & other places, only go to Halfords during weekday 'normal' hours - that way, you get the full-time staff and not the part timers / students / etc.

At my local store (Workington), the bike I wanted was already assembled but the guy did a very thorough job of checking that everything was as it should be. He also took the time to tell me what changes had been made to the 07 model & why (i.e. stronger wheels, different crank, etc) and explain how to lock the forks, etc.

Having got the bike home, I've had a check and everything seems to be spot on - not ridden on it too far yet but the posture feels 'natural' when I'm on it.

Best bit was that through our scheme, I get 5% bike price for accessories - £75. On top of that, Halfords have a £50 accessories on any bike over £250 so I had £125 to spend on bits & pieces !! Nice.

Looking forward to the weekend to get out for a proper ride.

Maxi
  • TheBoyBilly
    TheBoyBilly Posts: 749
    If you are local you could do worse than try an off-road demo day:

www.bikedemodays.com

Have a look, choose a brand, then a bike or bikes and book your test ride.
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde
  • Another vote for the Fury. I've got the 2008 and changed the tyres and pedals. You get a lot of bike for your money, but as mentioned before, once you've handed your money to Halfords, make sure its the last time they see or (more importantly) touch the bike!!
  • mrwibble
    I am going to buy an On-One Inbred frame and do a custom build.
  • supersonic
    Good on yer! Not easy, and usually more expensive, but you'll learn the mysterious ways of the bike and get the perfect build foryou.
  • I'd choose the Genesis!
    Join me at SackUpSports Community http://sackupsports.com Climbing -
    Downhill Biking - Ski - Snowboard