I can't get my derailers adjusted properly

krushgroove
krushgroove Posts: 27
edited April 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
aarrrgh!

I've tried using the adjustment guides on the Sheldon Brown site and at biketutorial.com but I can't get the chain onto the largest sprocket or the largest chainring. Also, when on the middle chainring and the smaller sprockets the chain rubs on the cage and when the chain is on some of the sprockets I get a chain 'skip' like it wants to shift to an adjacent sprocket.

I want to get this fixed but can't afford to take it to a shop, and my MTB buddy across the pond tells me it's way easy...

The front and rear derailers are Deore XT, with a 7-speed hubset, if that makes any difference. I don't have the manual as I bought the bike used and it came with everything on it, and I haven't changed anything.

Is there a 'base' setting I can put everything to like screw all the adjustment screws in and back them out a certain amount? I've tried watching the videos and reading through the instructions but I must be missing something...can anyone recommend another step-by-step, idiot-proof guide to derailer adjustment?

(apologies if I didn't spell derailers properly, I can't remember how to spell the French version of the word :P)
'99 Giant ATX 890
'?? Raliegh something-or-other, commuter
Trying to keep the rubber side down!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you either need more tension in the cable and/or set the stop screws correctly.

have a read of the info on Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hi Nick,

Thanks, that Park website looks like just the ticket! I'm printing it out and will give it another try :)
    '99 Giant ATX 890
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just a further thought if the XT is the newer 9spd you may never lose the rubbing as the chain may just be that little bit too wide.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • it's a 7-speed, I won't have a 9-speed for a while :) but thanks for the info!
    '99 Giant ATX 890
  • Blundell
    Blundell Posts: 308
    Make sure you have the rear mech stop scres adjusted right so as the cahin doesn't fall into the spokes or off the end of the cassette. Then make sure that you have the adjuster barrel about 1/2 to 1/3 screwed out. Now pull the gear cable onto the rear mech so that it is just about taught. If you pull it too tight you'll be up (or down depends if you've got rapid rise or not) through all the gears by the time you've clicked through 2 gears.
    The front mech is a right bugger to set up, best thing I can say is tinker with the angle the mech makes with the chain line. Only do it by a small amount mind you!
  • I think the barrel adjuster is where I went really wrong, I was really cranking it when I was trying to adjust things the other night, but I've got some time tomorrow to get it sorted and will give it another solid try!
    '99 Giant ATX 890
  • pete236
    pete236 Posts: 204
    Another good place to looks is bikemagic.com
    The guides on there are what I've used to set up my mechs and not had a problem since! I find them easier to use and understad than the Parktools one, though I must admit I've not looked at Sheldon Browns'.

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/2968 - for the front mech

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/2955 - for the rear mech

Hope you get it all sorted!

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.