Hi all New to Mountain Biking some help needed !!!

King Muppet
King Muppet Posts: 4
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi all :)

Just recently got into mountain biking, looking forward to getting on some good trails, I live in the bolton area so rivington is just on my door step and looking to join a local club for further afield rides....

Recently bought a Giant Xtc 3.5 2007 from my LBS for £450 i thought it was a good buy i find it a really nice bike and am enjoying it, I have no doubt at some point ill be looking at upgrading to a full sus but i need to learn to walk before run so to speak.

I have just ordered some SPD shoes and some Shimano M770 XT pedals, the problem being im unsure if these are right for trail/off road use, does anyone here use SPDs for this or have i got it completely wrong any advise would be really appreciated....

Cheers :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yep no probs with using spds.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    If you are completely new to mountain biking you might want to try flat pedals to start out with. SPDs are definitely the way forward in the long term for most riding though.
  • Thanks for the info guys :)

Well the pedels and shoes are on their way, Ill give em a bash and see were I get.

Thanks again
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Toasty wrote:
    If you are completely new to mountain biking you might want to try flat pedals to start out with. SPDs are definitely the way forward in the long term for most riding though.

not most but XC and marathon then yes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I'm personally a flatty guy, even for trail center use, spd's when used scare me too much, (i bail to often hehe)
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    nicklouse wrote:
    Toasty wrote:

not most but XC and marathon then yes.

Given XC is supposedly the most common type of mountain biking I'd say I'm safe to assume most? :P

The thing I found with SPDs, if you sit down you can't adjust your weight like you can with flats on, moving your feet etc. When standing up though it's exactly the same as having flats, if not better, as soon as this latched on it was a breeze. Yeah bailing isn't pretty though, guess it depends how tame your local trail center is.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    CWm carn for me, and im so grateful for flats every time i fly off the rocky sections cos im trying to go faster than my mates lol
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I use flats for XC! As with most things, it is preference.
  • Ive only been MTB'ing for about 8 months and only use flat pedals. Thats due to my ability to fall off on a regular basis. I like to know I can get away from the bike if I need to.

It is of course a personal preference but thats definitely mine.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    CWm carn for me, and im so grateful for flats every time i fly off the rocky sections cos im trying to go faster than my mates lol

Same here !! I figure when I can lap Cwmcarn without falling off or dabbing then it will be safe to switch to SPDs.