a question for you geomety xperts

anytear691
anytear691 Posts: 84
edited April 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Scott reflex frame and apparently it has 110mm travel, but If i fully deflate the shock there must be only 50mm or less of tube showing, is it possible that through leverage when the impact gets to my seat 110mm is obtained?

or have i been ripped off lol
"Convoy?!, Micheal your spending you time with someone who uses a collective term for a single vehicle!"

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    err what are you doing. letting the air out of the fork or the shock?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • the rear shock, I just wanted to see how long the rear shock tube was the other day thats why i deflated it fully and its no more than 50mm, why do they advertise it as 110mm?

strange
    "Convoy?!, Micheal your spending you time with someone who uses a collective term for a single vehicle!"
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so measure how far the wheel moves, what is visible on the shock is not relevant.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Because the rear wheel will move more than the shock, this is all done with ratios. The travel you get is given by frame geometry. You can probably find out the ratio somewhere on the net, it sounds like it's roughly a 2:1.

The rear wheel should get the full travel.
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    2:1 would be a Curnutt shock...

that will be all :)