Mountain bike in city

kim11
kim11 Posts: 3
Hi there, I just got a mountain bike 3 days ago. It seemed fine when I got it but after about 5miles of cycling it slowly went flat. My questions are- should I be riding a mountain bike through a busy city? and if so do you think the puncture was caused by glass, or maybe possibly it had
a puncture when I first picked it up? I can't figure it out..The reason I'm asking is because I can't find any info
to tell me whether these bikes are suitable for riding in the city(actually-don't think I've seen
many of em there) and why. Could anyone tell me if I need to get another bike?
Looking forward to any suggestions out there,
Thanks,
Kim.

Comments

• I've seen many mountain bikes in city centres. Personally, it wouldn't be my choice, but I don't see why it should be more prone to punctures than any other bike. In my experience the trick, with any bike, it to keep the tyres pumped up as hard as they will allow, and keep out of the gutter.
  • kim11
    kim11 Posts: 3
    Cheers CrookedCucumber, will try pumpin tyres again and avoid the gutters,
    hopefully a repair kit and a pump are all I'll need to keep using it... :wink:
  • yuri_d
    yuri_d Posts: 7
    I commute on MTB and love it. In fact, MTB is easier to maneuver if you need to filter through busy traffic and the riding position is more comfortable. Racers wizz past me but I am philosophical about it :-)
    As for the tyres - get some punchure proof road ones. Continental Traffic or Contact are good or and Nimbus (my choice) make good ones. IMO Its a must do upgrade because your stock tyres are probably very uncomfortable for road riding for noise and high rolling resistance. You also want safer cornering.
    And enjoy your biking !
    Please no "MTB vs Road" flame wars :)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    MTB are much more fun to ride round cities, stick some large volume slick tyres on it, like tioga FS100, and it's a great laugh, with the stronger bike you can hop curbs jump off ledges etc. When I ride agressively round oxford I'm considerably faster than my friends on road bikes. Just don't red light jump.

*awaits flaming for curb-hopping*