Why am I being drawn in to Spending more cash??

Biggins
Biggins Posts: 40
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
I bought a Spesh Allez thinking the frame would be good enough for me to upgrade parts onto as they wore out or I fancied something new to put on it. i am at the point where I need new wheels but all of the searching around on the internet has only left me wanting a complete new bike!! My brother has bought a Focus Cayo (the git) and that looks really nice!! carbon...mmmm thats what I need. The last time I checked the pockets there was no brass at all in them, so have been thinking about an interest free credt deal, does anybody know which companies do the best credit deal please!!! I need a new bike cos ....... well I just do!!!!!! :lol:

Comments

• feel
    feel Posts: 800
    mmmmmh the power of advertising :wink:

I'm gonna try and upgrade my body before i upgrade my bike :lol:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    You've got the cycling disease. There is no cure. It gets worse as the years go by.
    Abandon all hope of a normal life and put your faith in the cycling gods They will help
    you spend your money.

Dennis Noward
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Best credit deal = cycle to work scheme

What's wrong with the Allez?
    Interested as just bought one.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Biggins
    Biggins Posts: 40
    Nothing wrong with the Allez, it's been great, i just fancy something from higher up the scale thats all!!!!
  • lilactime
    lilactime Posts: 86
    get your body up the scale , its cheaper
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    hmm

the cayo is a fair bit more 'racy' in it's geometry - it has quite a low front end and won't feel as comfy in terms of riding position - which might be good or might be bad.

personally I think that a sensibly upgraded allez is a great bike - good wheels, a decent-ish groupset (105+) and some nice finishing kit such as a specialized pave pro seatpost and toupe saddle - will produce a very light, comfy and well handling bike

but - I know what you mean about wanting the latest carbon this and that - i am the same sort of person - it just happens to us I guess..
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    Buy clothing instead for now and save for a super dooper bike.
    Every winner has scars.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Biggins wrote:
    so have been thinking about an interest free credt deal, does anybody know which companies do the best credit deal please!!!

Ummmm, well Wiggle do one....
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    Get some debt and buy some carbon. :twisted:
  • Matty1235
    Matty1235 Posts: 125
    as you already have a great frame, i'd upgrade and stick with it, getting the new bike now, will be fresh but in two years when you're still paying it you want another. I have allez and when mad on wheels,made such a difference to the ride, my mate has same bike and it so different.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1111280/
  • Shadowduck
    Shadowduck Posts: 845
    Matty1235 wrote:
    *snip* ... getting the new bike now, will be fresh but in two years when you're still paying it you want another.
    Matty's hit the nail on the head. If you buy it when you can't afford it, you're just getting onto a treadmill that's very hard to get off.

Spend a little bit on the Allez and savour it!
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Don't buy things on Credit.......unless you need to.

I decided 10 months ago to buy a better bike, so I saved a bit each month until just after Xmas, it might I had plenty of time to decide exactly what I wanted and the money saved up to get what I wanted without going into debt.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Don't buy things on Credit.......unless you need to..

Also with the current credit crunch if your looking for a mortgage deal at some point soon this mightt come back to haunt you.

As previously said the allez is a great bike, especially if you have one of the top two models. The entry level one doesn't have as good frame. Loads of people I know have one and few people race on it, though admitedly upgraded a bit.

Upgrades to 'the engine' are free :wink:
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Don't buy things on Credit.......unless you need to..

Also with the current credit crunch if your looking for a mortgage deal at some point soon this mightt come back to haunt you.

D'ya mean me?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    If you don't die in debt, you haven't been living hard enough :twisted:
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    When I were a lad no brass meant no credit. Now Im older with some savings everyone and their dog offers me credit without me even asking. I dont want it now you :x :evil: :twisted:

I have an Allez and am about to run down the upgrade route. Wheels are done, gone clipless (hardly an upgrade as such I know) Crankset next or new brake callipers actually as mine refuse to stay centered and it pees me off!

Little bits as and when you can make sense if you arent rolling in it. I would also imagine that even a £1000 bike will be compromised here and there regarding spec. Especially the wheels.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    hmm

I agree with the credit thing - but on the other hand, an interest free deal is something else - in particular with places like wiggle where you are unable to haggle on the price.

where an LBS might offer interest free OR a reduction in price, i'd look for the discount - but if you are paying £1300 for a bike from wiggle regardless, then you might as well keep the money in your own account and take the interest - good financial sense surely (as long as it is a genuine interest free deal)
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Plus the fact that as soon as you have a mortgage, everyone wants to lend you money of course!
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    I also have the basic Allez.

Well it's got full 105 now with 561 wheels, conti 4000's, ultragra pedals obviously and a pave carbon seatpost - now I'm wondering about the Ti frame from Planet X (if it ever arrives). Just an opinion but resarching and fitting upgrades is a great hobby, instructive and taken gradually debt free.

cheers
    steve