How not to change a tube

Phekdra
Phekdra Posts: 137
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
I got back to my bike after work to find the front tire was totally flat. Surprising as it was fine when I got in in the morning, but at least a chance to test my Crank Bros mini-mini-micro pump, which looks far too small to move any volume of air. So out comes the tube, in goes the new one. Pump-pump-hiss-hiss... Surely my spare isn't punctured too? :(

No - I'd put the old one right back in again. I didn't think that was possible - they should come in a variety of colours...

Phekdra

Comments

• graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    DOn't worry - on my last tyre change I managed to blow the tyre off a new rim, scrapping both the tyre (old) and the rim. Cost me £40 for a new rim and I still built it myself.

See, there's always someone who's been more of a twat than you! :D
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    My first attempt at changing a tube ..... pump, pump, pump, BANG.

No-one told me you have to be careful not to catch the tube when you put the tyre back on.
  • Phekdra
    Phekdra Posts: 137
    Graham G wrote:
    See, there's always someone who's been more of a fool than you! :D

Well, that's good to know :D . I'm still baffled as to how I managed to do it, particularly as the new one was bound with an elastic band and wrapped up in a plastic bag! It was like one of those magician's sleight of hands - which cup is the coin under? :shock:

Phekdra
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Friend of mine tried that trick on a cold club run while we stood around freezing for 10 minutes.............and then another 10 minutes. He bought the coffees. :)
  • When using a mini-pump on the road, it's snapping the top off a presta valve that usually does for me...
  • Bronzie
    When using a mini-pump on the road, it's snapping the top off a presta valve that usually does for me...
    Another good reason why mini pumps should be banished in favour of a decent frame pump
  • barbej
    barbej Posts: 23
    I just bought a road bike. Spent two hours last week practising changing my innertubes in my front room (so I can now do it blindfolded, just don't ask me to prove it!). Its a good job as well as the Continental GP Attack/Force tyres are very difficult to get on without a tyre lever. :( I kept on pinch pucturing :oops: Rather do that whilst having a beer than trying for the first time outside.
  • Adamskii
    Adamskii Posts: 267
    barbej - You practice changing you inner tubes? What, like formula 1 teams practice pit stops? Thats real commitment. Whats your best time?! :wink:
    It's all good.
  • Bronzie
    Visions of the scene in Platoon where they have to strip and re-assemble their weapons blindfold. Barbej slamming his wheel down on the table with new inner installed "126 seconds, sir yesir" :lol:

Have you found that as the number of beers you've had goes up, your "performance" drops, so to speak?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I went on a bike maintenance course at the weekend, but had virtually the whole of Edinburgh Bike Co-op come down to see what I'd done after they heard an explosion echo out of the basement that we were working in whilst I was changing a tube!!

Made the old ears ring for a while, but as it was the first thing on the course it also woke me up a bit.

Strange as I've changed loads of tubes before and never done that, but did when I had an instructor with me.
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Bronzie wrote:
    Another good reason why mini pumps should be banished in favour of a decent frame pump

Too right, though I ditched the mini-pump in favour of CO2. Last straw saw a valve snap off and jam in the mini-pump which I couldn't dislodge rendering my second spare inner tube useless. Could never get more than 60 PSI out of the thing anyway. Wouldn't mind having a frame pump for backup but can't find a good place to keep it.
  • Bronzie
    Shmo wrote:
    Wouldn't mind having a frame pump for backup but can't find a good place to keep it.
    On the frame - no? Or am I missing something? :?