another newbie in search for a road bike

WRogers
WRogers Posts: 9
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
sorry to start another topic!!!

However I am looking for a road bike for commuting for work and training for my schools annual 100 Mile London-Woodbridge Bikeride

I have an old MTB i will sell to my dad and some cash from my saturday job.

I am looking for a road racer for a budget of £300-400

am i right that I need a 58-60cm frame if i am 6'3"???

I am also looking to possibly add mudguards in the winter (or i could wear a coat otherwise)

the other thing is can you fit a pannier rack and bags onto a racer?? as i may think about a small holiday somewhere in my gap year.

any help is gratefully received

Will

Comments

• dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    If you can stretch another £100 + a little bit, it will make a big difference.
    Otherwise, I would look for a second hand bike. There are many people that start off keen and loose interest. Ask for proof of purchase or a look closely at the circumstances and ask for a written receipt.
    Search on www.gumtree.com and you can get some good deals. However, if buying from a web site take some screen prints of the advert. Print it and file it with your other receipts.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    You can not fit panniers to an out and out racer and it won't have the bolt holes for mudguards but you can get ones that will still fit. Might be better looking at tourers or audaxes if the holiday tour is important.
    60 cm frame could be too big, but the only way is to try them out.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.