Clipless pedals with normal shoes?

Kafka\'s Doll
Kafka\'s Doll Posts: 208
edited April 2008 in Commuting chat
Hello. I'm considering taking the plunge into clipless pedals, but I'd need something that I could also use with normal shoes (I know that I can get SPD shoes that allow you to walk in them, but I'll still need to be able to use ordinary ones). I see that you can get pedals with a flat platform on one side and a clip on the other, but I reckon flipping the pedal will annoy me, so I've been looking for pedals that have a clip with a platform.

The two that look the most ikely are the Shimano M647 and the Crank Bros Mallet C. Does anyone have any experience of using normal shoes with these?

Or is there an alternative that I've missed?

Comments

• attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I've got a pair of these:-
    http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=-985728531&N=Shimano%20M545%20Free-Ride%20Pedals

They're a bit on the heavy side, but they've lasted me ages - I've had them since about 2001 but they've had intermitent use so they're probably only about 3 years old in usage terms.
    They don't even discourage Mrs Attica from occasionally borrowing the bike they're on.

Always takes a lot of concentration when starting out with clipless, on my first time I concentrated loads, approaching every junction with one foot waving in the air so that I knew I'd be able to pull up without falling off. Got back to my front door, pullled up and - you guessed it - found myself in a heap on my doorstep, very undignified.
    Hardly know I've got them on now though, you won't regret it.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just buy some extra cleats and attach then to some checker plate for the times you need a flat platform. SPD pedals with clips in the center are uncomfortable with normal shoes and do not offer any grip.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Have you checked THESE out. They had them on ebay for £20 a few days ago. They really are no trouble to flip over and if they come back at that price (£25 inc postage and packing) they are too good to miss IMO.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i have shimano dx peds on my 2 mtbs these can be used as clipless or flats 98% of the time im clipped in then when the going gets supper teccy tough just unclip and use as a flatty.

they a bit pricey though around £50.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    When I bought my XTR spd pedals I got a black pair of black plastic platform/reflector that clip into the spd pedals for use with normal shoes (part no. SM-PD22)

Wouldn't they work for you?

G
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Thanks all. I'm not sure that I'd want to have to remember an extra part that I needed to clip in, and am still wary of pedals with different platforms on each side. So I decided on those M647s after looking more closely at them. I think they'll be fine with normal shoes, though the compromise is that they're quite heavy. I'll let you know how it goes.