Speed on sportives

pedlad
pedlad Posts: 127
Hi - doing my first event in 9 weeks time and worried about the general lack of (2nd Child induced) training. Life is slowly settling down so hoping to start getting some serious miles in now but what sort of average speed range do people do on these events?

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I would say between 12mph and 20mph approximately :D Do ya own thing I say.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Yep, it doesn't matter how fast you go. Some people are hyper-fast aliens, and others like to take their time and enjoy the scenery and have a chat. And there isn't a single person in the world who feels they've done enough training, so you're not alone in that respect. "No, but really I haven't done enough!" Yes, I know, we all say exactly that.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • oldwelshman
    My ambition for this year is to amble round a sportive and take some pictures and enjoy the scenary :D
    I think I may try this in the CGF :lol:
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    My ambition for this year is to amble round a sportive and take some pictures and enjoy the scenary :D
    This will never happen.............once the smell of Ralgex gets into the nostrils and the through and off starts :wink:
  • Would agree with Bronzie. Same as the MTB Challenges that are 'not races'. When you line up at the start with 200 - 400 other riders and you hear the start call, it's every man/woman for themselves and 'leisure' ride speed goes out the window. I always ride faster during these events compared to a normal ride out. The adrenalin keeps you going plus I always want to go faster than everyone around me (dream rather than reality however).
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I was talking about Oldwelshie in particular. The thought of him riding anywhere "easy" is a non-starter in my mind :wink:

But you know what they say - "One cyclist is just a cyclist. Two cyclists is a race".
  • My ambition for this year is to amble round a sportive and take some pictures and enjoy the scenary :D
    I think I may try this in the CGF :lol:

So if I sit on your wheel and ride on the rivet I *might* be able to stay with you then :wink:

David am doing this *alone* this year, are you staying local again? The temptation for 8 pints of guiness will be absent so its pasta and water the night before. If you want to meet up night before, do few gentle miles, enjoy the scenery, smash my legs up etc etc then let me know.

I was talking about Oldwelshie in particular. The thought of him riding anywhere "easy" is a non-starter in my mind

But you know what they say - "One cyclist is just a cyclist. Two cyclists is a race".

:D
  • oldwelshman
    Hi Steve.
    I am not sure what to do yet.
    I would like to do the CFG and twiddle round in prep for the Marmotte but on the same day there is a track sprint series in Midlands for MAsters which I would like to do so have not quite decided yet.
    If I do the CGF I will take a little 4 bert quick pitch tent and put in in the filed next to Bala lake.
    Definatekly not having 8 pints of guness, I remember the state you was in last year :D