Tricross - ok for big guys?

2»

Comments

• Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    Jamey,
    I have been away for a week, so have only just seen this thread. Anyway, my three penn'orth for what its worth!

For the use you have described, I would say the Tricross is perfect. I have owned one for about 18 months now and it has been great. I am 6' 2" and was over 17st :oops: I never felt it was a problem for the bike!

All of the gripes I had with my bike (the older version with the gloss black frame) have now been fixed with the latest model i.e triple chainset, brakes etc. I changed the saddle on mine to a Specilaized Avatar and it has been great - would recommend. I have also ran mine with 25C Gatorskin tyres for most of the time as I never go off-road. However, if I were to use it for commuting, I would probably put 28's on. A word of caution though - I used some Schwalbe Marathon's on mine and had 3 blowouts - one could have been disastrous! I can't speak for the Plus version of that tyre but I would definitely steer clear of the "standards". I think the rims are the same as mine on the current version Alex ACE-19?

I am also surprised re the comment about not been able to put full mudguards on when using the 32C tyres? There looks to be plenty of clearance.

I would say go for it - you won't be disappointed.

Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Thanks Gary.

On the mudguard clearance point, I don't think it's 32c tyres per se, it's more the 32c Marathon Plus tyres that are the problem as SMPs tend to be pretty fat for their size.
  • FWIW I've never had any problems (punctures, etc) with the stock 32c tyres, although I haven't tried to fit mudguards. I don't often go off-road, but I do sometimes, and the roads where I live are pretty poor, so I'm happy enough with the stock tyres for now. I'm sure something a bit thinner would be better if you predominantly ride on well-surfaced roads.

Actually, riding the Tricross off-road is quite an experience, compared to a mountain bike. The bike itself handles it pretty well, but expect to get the fillings shaken out of your teeth :)
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Quick question - I've just been reading other threads and people have mentioned that the Giant SCRs have quite an upright riding position. How does this compare to the Tricross? Is the SCR more upright than the Tricross or are they about the same?

Can't seem to find any Giant stockists around here (South London). I'm sure there must be one somewhere but I'm damned if I know where it is.