Pain in the Pennines

CyclingBantam
CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
Hello all,

Whilst purchasing a new innertube following a p*nct*re on my way to work yesterday I spotted a sign for the Pain in the Pennine Sportive on 15th June. I saw there was a Long (103 miles) and a short (60) route. I have been cycling for about 9 months and regularly commute 12.5 miles to work over a hilly yorkshire route (I guess some of the same hills to be used). Has anyone else done this before? Would the 60 mile route be achievable or is it a real killer for a relative newbie?

Thanks

Ben

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    BenBlyth wrote:
    Hello all,

Whilst purchasing a new innertube following a p*nct*re on my way to work yesterday I spotted a sign for the Pain in the Pennine Sportive on 15th June. I saw there was a Long (103 miles) and a short (60) route. I have been cycling for about 9 months and regularly commute 12.5 miles to work over a hilly yorkshire route (I guess some of the same hills to be used). Has anyone else done this before? Would the 60 mile route be achievable or is it a real killer for a relative newbie?

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben,

Don't know the exact route but I reckon thats a wise choice your making there...it will be hilly no doubt but 60miles is an excellent goal for your first sportif, and I'm sure you would be just fine if you eat and drank properly, not only that I reckon it would give you a real confidence boost and im sure you would love the day being with many other like minded chaps...a good way to get the cycling bug and who knows...maybe a way to get into this great hobbiein a bigger way...then next year you can try your hand at some the real toughies.

Go for it...whats to lose?
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    I did the longer event last year and rode to and from event HQ too. It's all on my local climbs, so I couldn't not do it. The weather was terrible for the first half last year, and then brightened up. I hope it is better this time round.

If your commute is 12.5 miles each way, I would say that you should be able to cope with the shorter route if you take it steady, and make sure you have some very low gears! Even the shorter route takes in some tough stuff. If you don't mind nipping over to CycleChat, I've been discussing the toughest climb (Mytholm Steeps) over there as an offshoot of this thread. There's a link to a FlickR gallery showing the climb in all its glory.

Make sure you eat and drink enough. I think you'll have two feed stations. Last year there was one at Sharneyford after climbing out of Bacup, and another at the top of Blackstone Edge out of Mytholmroyd. There was also a photographer up there last year so remember to try and smile!

Look at the route/profile available on the event website. Both routes coincide until the top of Blackstone Edge (the second time - you will already have gone over in the opposite direction earlier). The long route goes right towards Littleborough. The shorter route drops down to Ripponden but then you have a bit of a sting-in-the-tail - the wall-like climb up to Barkisland. That should wring the last drops of energy out of your legs!
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Thanks a lot for the comments of support chaps. It seems I have made the right decision aiming to do this ride. I need to get some more base miles and will make sure I can do the full 60 miles (I don't think this will be a big problem) prior to the event. I am going to challenge myself to get round the whole thing without stepping off the bike however I hae just been scared stiff judging by those pictures colin linked! The steepest gradient I have done is coming out of Baliff bridge and that is supposedly only 14% and that is a killer! :oops: :D