Argh Halfords!!! I should have listened....

truebrit87
truebrit87 Posts: 38
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
I should have listened to people I've spoke to on here, I just bought my first MTB through them and was advised not to. They've supplied me with a Large frame even though I ordered a Medium. After a 20 mile drive back to the store I've been told it'll take it'll take up to 6/7 weeks to exchange, so I've setteled for a Small

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If its not right, don't settle for it - get a refund.
  • I tried the Small in the Boardman Team and it felt quite comftable, although I would have like to have tried it in the Pro so I knew exactly what I'll be pickin up.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Do Not settle,

make sure what you get fits easily, if you have to much post showing you could break posts or frames, and you may not find you can comfortably ride for long periods on it.
  • Papa Smurf
    Papa Smurf Posts: 776
    Give them a ring, ask to be put through to the bikehut and tell them straight that the bike is wrong and it's going to be coming back to them whether they like it or not. You have every right to walk in the there and cause hell on earth untill you get every penny back if needed.
    And to be fair, I think you should do that and buy the bike elsewhere..
  • Have to say I think it depends on who you get on the day. I've had some first class service from Halfords and some shocking service from Alpine. Bike snobbery is alive and well.

Just go back to them and ask for the bike you want, or get a refund and try a different store.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    how long have you had the bike.

you should be entitled to a full refund. just remind them when you go back about the sales of goods act and your stat rights they not supplied you with what you ordered. they agreed to supply you with a certain bike size spec they then changed this so they broke the contract of sale. they can not do this unless they first consult you telling you they are changing the contract of sale and giving you the option to opt out of the contract...

research sales of goods act.

i was in a simlar situation last year when i ordered my santacruz the shop decided not to honour the price they quoted me when i ordered and payed for the frame i got onto consumer direct office of fair trading trading standards to find out were i stood and low and behold i wasnt in the wrong,.. in the end i sorted out the problem with the shop that had made a admin error or so they told me . funny how they wouldnt budge untill i stated to mention stat rights and sales of goods act...

you should also have a can be up to 30 days grace period were you can take the item back obviously it must be in the same condition it was when you were sold it..
  • adam1964
    adam1964 Posts: 3
    Personally i distrust anything Halfords tell me after they tried to convince me that QR skewers are stronger than my current bolted hub,
    and my question about rubbing brake discs;
    get this,
    i was advised to LUBRICATE them!
    they are trying to kill me!!!!

Your Mum rides my hardtail....
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Was in Halfords this afternoon buying some elbow pads for my daughter who's 4. There was a guy looking to buy a new seat post and he wanted to know how to attach the saddle to the seat post clamp. The two Bikehut numpties were really struggling so I ended up explaining how a micro adjust seat post clamp works (there was only one bolt after all).

The really scary thing was that on of the guys was putting a bike together and doing a PDI on it, just one more statistic waiting to happen :( .

Only occured to me after leaving that I should have checked the size of his old seat post against the size of the new one to check they were compatible (pretty sure the Bikehut boys didn't check).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result