Neighbours using your Wheelie bin

jc4lab
jc4lab Posts: 554
edited April 2008 in Campaign
Our wheelie bin went missing only to be found a week later in a neighbours yard filled to the brim with their own stuff..What would you do if this happened to you?
jc

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Empty their rubbish onto their doorstep and take your bin back?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Set it on fire?
  • TheBoyBilly
    TheBoyBilly Posts: 749
    What redddragon said.....
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    And just wait until Councils start using these chipped wheelie bins to charge us by the Kg!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Set it on fire?

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

So to get back at your neighbours, you would destroy your own property?

Hmm - don't think that is the best idea I have ever heard
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • carlstone
    carlstone Posts: 602
    Probably wait until it was emptied, then reclaim it and paint a big number (insert own house number here) on it. If it went missing again I would then go round empty it and reclaim it.
  • Eat My Dust
    spen666 wrote:
    Set it on fire?

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

So to get back at your neighbours, you would destroy your own property?

Hmm - don't think that is the best idea I have ever heard

Well if it was backed up against their back door you'd certainly get back at them!!

Do you/we/I actually own our wheelie bins?
  • z000m
    z000m Posts: 544
    lol @ all the vigilantes, would be easier to just call the police after all it is theft.
  • TheBoyBilly
    TheBoyBilly Posts: 749
    What about that poor bloke who got a fine and a criminal record for overloading his wheely-bin by four inches. What a joke this government is.
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Where I used to live, the binmen didn't empty our bin one week so I swapped it with a neighbours and the duly emptied both the bins the following week :? Now I get 2 collections a week :D but I only generate one black bag of rubbish myself so not an issue for me.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    What about that poor bloke who got a fine and a criminal record for overloading his wheely-bin by four inches. What a joke this government is.
    Absolutely ridiculous. Apparently he was one of the few in the area that recycled as well and yet gets slapped for his rubbish. Seems like the local council is encouraging fly tipping.

I'm not sure what was more disconcerting. The fact that someone was stung to the tune of £225 for having a semi-recessed bin lid or that it made the 3rd/4th story on the BBC's national 10 o'clock news.
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    We live in a long terrace of house and it's a regular event that we loose our bin and/or end up with other people which you then end up filling with your own rubbish as we all do it in the dark.

The solution is on bin day ensure that you get your bin back (empty) and if it's in a neighbours yard, go and get it (before they fill it up)

As for ownership, wheelie bin are the property of the council
  • Eat My Dust
    We don't have wheelie bins. Still put the bags out. When I was doing the garden a few weeks back I think I put out about 16 bags!!
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761

There's your answer. Put your rubbish on top of theirs so the lid won't close and wait for the council to exact revenge on your behalf....
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569

The council's side of the story is that he isn't the angel that the Daily Mail is making him out to be and that he has received numerous warning in the past. Would we be defending him if he'd had a number of police warnings about doing 40mph in a 30mph before they finally gave him a fine? It's not a story.

Basically, we live on a small island with approaching 70 million people and suitable landfill sites are becoming scarce. So, what are council's supposed to do? We have to reduce waste somehow because there's nowhere left to put all the cr*p we throw away.

As for neighbours taking JC4LAB's bin, that really sucks. Some people are just very bl**dy selfish. I guess it'll come to padlocks on bins in the end, which is a sad indictment on our society.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    What should you do. Wait till your bin is empty and take it back,paint you house number /street name on it at the same time take their bin and dump it somewhere. Oh and by the way this is what you should do.Personally i am route one material, i would wait till all the family is at home, knock on the front door and empty contents on hall carpet. A friendly word that it better not happen again, and hopefully the tosser will realise they made a big mistake. Greetings Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • pieinthesky
    pieinthesky Posts: 417

It costs money to scrap a car tyre. Cyclists can see the result of that govornment policy. They end up in ditches. Thousands of them round here.

The local tip charges for trade waste to be dumped there. Where does it end up? In the ditch.

Prosecuting people for over filling there bin might encourage a bit more re-cycling but I bet it encourages an awful lot more fly tipping! Picking rubbish blown all over our towns and countryside will be far more costly than emptying the odd over filled bin.

And, surely this is treating the symptons of the problem not the cause. Fine supermarkets for creating excessive packaging in the first place.
  • On the subject of wheelie bins.....

A binman is going along a street picking up the wheelie bins and emptying them into his binlorry. He gets to one house where the bin hasn't been left out. He has a quick look for it, goes round the back but still can't see it so he knocks on the door. There's no answer so he knocks again. Eventually a Japanese bloke answers... "Harro," says the chap.

"Alright mate, where's your bin?" asks the dustman.

"I bin on toilet" replies the Japanese bloke, looking perplexed. Realising the Japanese fellow has misunderstood, the bin man smiles and says, "No mate, where's ya dust bin?"

"I dust bin on toilet. I told you." says the Japanese man.

"Mate" says the dustman... "you're misunderstanding me... Where's your wheelie bin?"

"OK-OK," says the man, "I wheelie bin having a w5nk."