Another inner tube destroyed

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Hi.

Today I woke up and went down stairs to find my front tyre went flat, so I took the tyre off and looked at the inner tube and were the puncture is its about 5mm in diameter this puncture and it cant be fixed it looks sort of torn, anyway were the puncture is directly below is a hole in the tape and I dont know what happened, would appear a spoke has punctured the tyre but I am sure the spokes have not had enough movement :( , any ideas?

Comments

• Check your rim tape?
  • Anonymous
    I did, its got a hole in, right on one of the spoke holes, I'm wanting to know really how this hole got there and if due to the high pressure of road tyres the inner tube has been pierced on the sharp sharp metal?
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I had a spate of rim side punctures when I first got my DT wheels. They came with plastic rim tape but I'm not certain it was the correct one supplied (RR1.1 tape on RR1.2 rims).

I had Velox tape recommmended to me and, touch wood and all that, haven't had one since with these wheels.
  • Anonymous
    So what tape should I buy and its not really expensive is it? Any online shops that will sell it?
  • Anonymous
    Looks nice and thick, the stuff on mine at the moment is thin and looks worn near the holes.
  • Anonymous
    I'll order some when I get some new tyres and all that, my dad is fixing the current innter tube and tyre I'll trial that if it dont work I'll get some new.

What my dad rekons happened is last night when we were pumping it up we pumped it too high (130PSi) So its gone like a baloon and poped through one of the spoke holes and took some of the tape with it, thing is it never felt as hard as the back tyre and the back was at 110PSi so we pumped to 120 then my dad kept going to 130PSi and it appear not to go up but I guess it did!

I had a backup inner tube but the valve went faulty on it, the other one the valve snapped off (These were the standard inner tubes I got with the bike, the continental one I got was destroyed) :(, going to buy another one today from halfords but they are 3 quid each just for an inner tube!
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Sounds like your having a bit of bad luck mate. Don’t worry though you will soon come to a point where everything will just seem to go your way.

One of the best things to do with you wheels is check them every now and then and even replace the rim tape.
    What I do every 1000 miles or so is take off the wheel and the tyre and check the rim tape.
    If the tape seems like it could fail in any way I replace it.
    Before replacing it I give it a good clean with a rough scourer and then I run my thumb along the inside of the Rim to check for any rough edges or abnormalities -

Once that’s all done I check the tyre inspecting the walls and the clincher part of it and make sure they are up to a few more hundred miles.

One thing you don’t want is pumping a tyre up too much and the tyre failing, bursting and buckling your rim.

Always make sure your tyres are in good nick as they are the things keeping you on the road.
    In my view your wheels and tyres are the most important thing to make sure are 100%

Adios
    Doobz
    cartoon.jpg
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    I just use insulating tape, it works just as well. I just add a touch of sellotape over the end.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Have you taken the tape off and checked for rough edges, may well be that you have to file the end of a spoke or nipple (spoke tensioner) down with a metal file.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Anonymous
    Well my dad picked me up from college and be bought 28 quids worth of stuff for my bike form halfords, well for the wheel, I was like OMG! I hope I havent been ripped off!.

He got some rim tape, a Continental Ultra Sport tyre that was 13 quid obviously dearer by some what than on the internet and he also got a slime filled inner tube thats pretty heavy compared to another one heres for hoping it wont slow me down too much!

For the same price could of got a Continental Ultra Race Tyre on wiggle :(, I hope this Ultra sport and self sealing innter tube works.
  • Anonymous
    Hi again.

Well the new inner tube is dead now, the valve is bust on it, god knows how but I was riding along and it suddenly went down and also the valve poped off when pumping it up and green goo came out, dunno if the valve bit that you unscrew is supposed to come off fully? But its busted, for 9 quid though I'm glad I'll have my dad return it and I'll get a cheap 2 quid tube untill I can order some decent ones for cheaper than the 8 quid one off the internet.
  • feel
    what punctured the new tube ? Have you checked for sharp edges inside the wheel under the tape?
  • Anonymous
    feel wrote:
    what punctured the new tube ? Have you checked for sharp edges inside the wheel under the tape?

It was on the rear, I dont think it has been punctures, if it had it should of sealed since its got that gel stuff but I doubt its any good when it spewed out it was like a liquid and never went solid. We tried pumping back up but air kept coming out of the valve and it appears a seal or something may have broke for some reason. Hopefully it was not a puncture.

Something bad happens all the time when something is going good, took over someone else on a racing bike then looked down to see my tyre was going flat :(, was doing 25mph aswell.
  • feel
    Those tubes can seal pinpoint punctures like thorns, but they will not protect against tears. I would investigate very thoroughly as you seem to have had an awful lot of flats.
    If the tyre went flat at speed there could have been subsequent damage to the valve if the tube was being pulled out of place.
  • Anonymous
    Hi.

It turns out there was a puncture :(, and the stuff did not seal apparently the air was coming out too fast for it to seal, I dont get why I am getting all these punctures I dare not go more than 6 miles away in any direction from my home on my bike due to the amount of punctures. It was on the rear with the Continental Ultra Sport tyre (No puncture protection on those tryes).

Apparently the puncture was directly oposite the valve on the other side of the wheel but I cant find any puncture holes, my dad said he might of nipped the inner tube as he was putting it back in the green stuff was oozing out.
  • Anonymous
    Ok might have to check the wheel and tape now as it went down again, I'm begenning to geel like giving up now I cant afford this its not doing me any good and its sucking money more than my high end gaming pc cost to build. Think I'll have to start doing miles on the bike thing at the gym I'm too worried about constant punctures.
  • feel
    This number of punctures is not normal :? I have had 2 in 1000+miles on fairly ordinary tyres (bontrager racelite). When you get a puncture and remove the inner tube always leave the tyre in place so that you can match where the inner tube was damaged with the same place on the wheel and the tyre and then carefully check them.
  • Anonymous
    Well its fixed now (hopefully), tomorrow I have to do 10 mile to college and back so if it goes flat anywere ont hat route I've got a long walk back as my parents cant pick me up due to using too much petrol :(
  • feel
    Did you find the cause of the puncture?
  • Anonymous
    No found nothing, my dad said he must been nipping the inner tube when putting it in. Dunno if before I go to college tomorrow I should do a short 4-5 mile run just to make sure it wont go down? Its pumped to 110PSi so will have to wait and see.
  • feel
    If it was a nip it should be a little crescent shaped mark on the side of the inner tube. To avoid these in future always half inflate the tube before levering the tyre wall back in place.
    good luck for tomorrow at least the weather forecast is ok :wink:
  • Anonymous
    It was not a crescent shape lets just hope it was a nip :p

So I put the inner tube in right, then I put the tyre back on but so one side is not on yet then half inflate it then put that side back on?

Thanks, aye weather does look ok but 10AM is apparently light rain and I set off at 11:30 and any rain will soak me as I dont have/want mud guards :p

Do you think the green goo will still do its job on small punctures if I get any of the amount thats cant out now might it not work?
  • feel
    willhub wrote:

So I put the inner tube in right, then I put the tyre back on but so one side is not on yet then half inflate it then put that side back on?

?

Yes always have it partly inflated when you are putting the tyre bead back onto the wheel this way it is much more difficult to nip.

This VIDEO shows a slightly different but just as effective way of putting a tyre on and also how to repair a puncture. There are some other useful clips on the same site.
  • Anonymous
    Went down again today, twice after it been replaced at halfords, could be a wheel frame issue, seems there was a mark on the rip tape but there is nothing to suggest it puncturing the tube allthough the puncture was on the inner side and at the exact same place each time. I keep telling my dad it will go down again but he saying no it wont so friday is the last time I use this bike I hope if the tyre goes down, cant afford a new wheel its totally out of the question.

Will be returning the bike and due to how tight I am on cash at the moment I'm going to have to put cycling on hold but I see no other way at the moment.
  • feel
    Have you actually taken the rim tape off and checked for roughness. When the inner tube is at 120psi the tape will be flattened and sharp bits that might not be visible may then start to stick through it. Any sharp bits need to be filed off.
  • Anonymous
    Rim tape was took off.
  • Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    If the puncture is on the inside of the tube the only place the puncture could be coming from is the rim tape or the rim, simple as that!