In need of help.........

maddas78
maddas78 Posts: 8
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
OK, I need some recommendations on buying a bicycle. I have decided on a road bike, I'm 37, in need of some exercise but not big, looking for a fairly comfortable ride. I used to ride a lot in my teens and was also a ski instructor, so used to working out. I've considered the Specialized Roubaix Elite which is a full Carbon bile, any thoughts on this or is there anything else i should consider?? Thank you very much

Comments

• feel
    feel Posts: 800
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • maddas78
    Feel, many thanks for your help on this. Although I'm English I actually live in NY and had managed to find a fairly good deal on the Roubaix, roughly 800 quid. In the link you sent me there were two opinions, the first being get a cheap bike and the second being buy what you want, what would be your suggestion?? Storage space is limited so i can only store one bike. My plan on the bike is to do at least 25 miles a day but to do some longer 100 + mile rides. Does any of this change anything?? When i was younger i would regularly take 80 mile rides.
  • First and foremost get a bike that fits you, and not the other way around. An ill fitting or poorly setup bicycle is uncomfortable, and you will be discouraged from riding.
  • feel
    maddas78 wrote:
    Feel, many thanks for your help on this. Although I'm English I actually live in NY and had managed to find a fairly good deal on the Roubaix, roughly 800 quid. In the link you sent me there were two opinions, the first being get a cheap bike and the second being buy what you want, what would be your suggestion?? Storage space is limited so i can only store one bike. My plan on the bike is to do at least 25 miles a day but to do some longer 100 + mile rides. Does any of this change anything?? When i was younger i would regularly take 80 mile rides.

My view is that someone new to cycling should start cheap, but as you are returning to it and have limited storage just go for it :) . £800 for a Specialized Roubaix Elite seems like a very good price and i don't think you would get a 2008 model for anything like that in the UK. I don't know if all bikes are cheaper in the States, but if they are it could be time to take an American holiday with a large bag :lol:
    And as Alex says make sure you get the right size, try a few different sizes first so that you are certain.
    Good luck.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    maddas78 wrote:

go for the roubaix - it's an excellent bike and will do all you are asking of it.

i'm sure you know - the roubaix has some slight tweaks to the geometry over the more racy 'tarmac' models to make them more comfortable over longer distances for us mere mortals (i.e. not professional athletes) which is great.

at £800 ish it sounds a bargain - go get it!
  • maddas78
    Ladies and Gentlemen, many thanks for your help. I'm on my way out of the door to have another ride of the Roubaix elite. I'm also going to try the Raliegh Copetition and the Trek Modane (sic) 4.5, any views??
  • maddas78
    Ladies and Gentlemen, many thanks for your help. I'm on my way out of the door to have another ride of the Roubaix elite. I'm also going to try the Raliegh Copetition and the Trek Modane (sic) 4.5, any views??
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    the madone might be nice..

my preference would still be the roubaix - but perhaps I am biased as I have one
  • maddas78
    I forgot to mention, in response to Feels comments. It does seem like bicycles and components are cheaper here in the US. If anyone would like me to do some investigation let me know and ill be glad to help
  • maddas78
    I forgot to mention, in response to Feels comments. It does seem like bicycles and components are cheaper here in the US. If anyone would like me to do some investigation let me know and ill be glad to help
  • maddas78
    Well i just got back from local bike shop, Sids, NY and am the proud owner of a 2008 Specialized Roubaix elite. Watch this space and ill keep you informed on how i like it for those interested the bike cost GBP840, although i had to buy pedals, i got the Look 206's for GBP40. I think i got a good deal. I also bought a Cannondale Synapse 5 femine compaq for my wife.

Again thank you to all who helped my it really was most useful
    :D
  • feel
    WE do like happy endings :wink:

congrats on the new bikes :D

ride safe.