Hollowtech 1 identification

fingerfun
fingerfun Posts: 82
edited April 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi - I've looked through many pages on the web including Bike Radar but can't find any information on my bottom bracket which (I believe ) is a Hollowtech 1. Its the original BB and chainset and is a 2003 XT Deore Hollowtech from a Marin Indian Fire Trail 2003.
Basically I'm stripping my bike down and the only info I can find is about Hollowtech 2 hence don't know which tools to buy to remove it, how to remove it, and what will be compatible as a replacement. The crank arms have no obvious way of how to remove them (unlike Hollowtech 2) and it has only one 8 lugged screwthread-attchment thing that is on the non-drive side.
If I'm not making myself clear I'll take some pics and upload them, although I feel I have the Betamax of the BB world :roll:

Cheers
Marcus[/img]
Question: Why do so many cyclists not stop at red lights? You would if you were in a car...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    one big allen key and standard bb tools.

img2447ug3.th.jpg

also have a look on park tools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • fingerfun
    Thanks! So a huge allen key on the drive side and a standard 8 lug tool on the non-drive side? Didn't look like it was an allen key to be fair (i did think that) - do you have to remove the front cap then on the crank arm to fit the key?
    Question: Why do so many cyclists not stop at red lights? You would if you were in a car...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no allen key both sides to remove the cranks. and then a standard splined bb tool.

READ the info on parktools

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=120

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=94
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • fingerfun
    Nice one - thanks, I'll give that a read and attempt removal tonight.
    ta :)